Tax allowances for dependents who live abroad

Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Tax allowances for dependents who live abroad

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

I am not sure if this has been brought up before. My wife and two children are living abroad for a year while they go to international school. I have heard that not only my wife and kids can be put down as dependents on my Japanese tax return, but also my parents in law, if I show evidence of them being financially supported by me. Is this possible, and if it is what is the process?
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Tax allowances for dependents who live abroad

Post by Tkydon »

Yes, you need to fill out the paperwork at your Kakutei Shinkoku

https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/ind ... /12016.htm
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Thank you very much.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

This used to be much simpler and they operated on a honesty system but a few years ago, even for nenmatsu chousei, they've required proof of support. Monthly bank transfers and the like so if you're planning to do it, make sure to do it in a way that leaves a paper trail so you can get your dependent deduction.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 am This used to be much simpler and they operated on a honesty system but a few years ago, even for nenmatsu chousei, they've required proof of support. Monthly bank transfers and the like so if you're planning to do it, make sure to do it in a way that leaves a paper trail so you can get your dependent deduction.
I had no idea about this.
Does it have to be monthly transfers? Or can it be once or twice a year remittance?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

gnakarmi wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:44 am
zeroshiki wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 am This used to be much simpler and they operated on a honesty system but a few years ago, even for nenmatsu chousei, they've required proof of support. Monthly bank transfers and the like so if you're planning to do it, make sure to do it in a way that leaves a paper trail so you can get your dependent deduction.
Does it have to be monthly transfers? Or can it be once or twice a year remittance?
They don't say what is good enough but I assume if those twice a year transfers are large enough for them live off of for 6 months then it should be ok.

In here https://www.nta.go.jp/publication/pamph ... you-QA.pdf they specifically say there's no set amount but it has to make sense that they're dependent on your money to live off of.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:57 am
They don't say what is good enough but I assume if those twice a year transfers are large enough for them live off of for 6 months then it should be ok.

In here https://www.nta.go.jp/publication/pamph ... you-QA.pdf they specifically say there's no set amount but it has to make sense that they're dependent on your money to live off of.
[/quote]

Great. I have been sending about 1-1.5 million each year for the past 6 years! I wish I had known about this earlier!
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

gnakarmi wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:10 am
zeroshiki wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:57 am

Great. I have been sending about 1-1.5 million each year for the past 6 years! I wish I had known about this earlier!
[/quote]

You can go back and amend your Kakutei Shinkoku filings for the last 3 years if you have the documentary evidence.

You would have to be sending more than the Dependent Allowances you are claiming for each Dependent;

Y380,000 Per Dependent
or Y630,000 For Dependents between 19 and 23
or Y480,000 For Dependents over 70
or Y580,000 For Dependents over 70 Living With You (so not in this case)

and Additional Y270,000 for Disabled Dependent
or Additional Y400,000 for Severely Disabled Dependent

and Additional Y350,000 for Severely Disabled Dependent Living With You (so not in this case)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Tkydon wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:01 am
You can go back and amend your Kakutei Shinkoku filings for the last 3 years if you have the documentary evidence.

You would have to be sending more than the Dependent Allowances you are claiming for each Dependent;

Y380,000 Per Dependent

and Additional Y350,000 for Severely Disabled Dependent Living With You (so not in this case)
That’s extremely useful info.
Do you know if there is any governmental agency where I could inquire about the procedure for this? NTA?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

gnakarmi wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:46 am
Tkydon wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:01 am

Y380,000 Per Dependent

That’s extremely useful info.
Do you know if there is any governmental agency where I could inquire about the procedure for this? NTA?
Yes. Do you do kakutei shinkoku or are you employed? If you're employed, there's forms you fill out to submit to your employer. If you submit your own tax form, you can go to a NTA office and get a consultation and they'll help you fill it up.