No votes
Applied, but still waiting
10%

Total votes: 21

Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: UK Pension Class 2/3 Applied vs Got

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:47 am Some good news from Jeremy Hunt's Autumn Statement yesterday:

"State pension payments and means-tested and disability benefits to increase by 10.1%, in line with inflation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63555313

For UK citizens in Japan paying Class 2 and Class 3 NI contributions, this is good news.
The 10.1% increase far outstrips any inflation here in Japan.

Let's just hope the UK government continues to allow us to pay in from Japan for many more years to come....
I would slightly temper that good news with the fact that actual UK pensioners who are receiving their state pension in Japan would not be getting that 10.1% increase because UK state pensions are frozen once you start receiving it.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:41 pm
Roger Van Zant wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:47 am Some good news from Jeremy Hunt's Autumn Statement yesterday:

"State pension payments and means-tested and disability benefits to increase by 10.1%, in line with inflation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63555313

For UK citizens in Japan paying Class 2 and Class 3 NI contributions, this is good news.
The 10.1% increase far outstrips any inflation here in Japan.

Let's just hope the UK government continues to allow us to pay in from Japan for many more years to come....
I would slightly temper that good news with the fact that actual UK pensioners who are receiving their state pension in Japan would not be getting that 10.1% increase because UK state pensions are frozen once you start receiving it.
Ah, good point.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Does anyone have any clear info on what the rules are for Class 2 acceptance? I believe it’s a combo of contributions made, how long they were made for and when the last one was made in relation to the timing of leaving UK.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JimmyK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:03 am Does anyone have any clear info on what the rules are for Class 2 acceptance?
No. But there's some info on the wiki.

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... rom_abroad
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks. I’ve seen this info before. It’s useful, but a bit vague. Still, I think what would preclude me from Class 2 is the requirement to have been employed (either by a company, or self-employment) ‘immediately’ prior to leaving the UK for Japan. In my case, there was a period of a number of months of doing no work before leaving. Don’t think I’d signed on during that period either (it was about 30yrs ago, so memory a little hazy!), so no credits paid either. Looks like Class 3 is correct then. Not to worry. Still a good deal.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JimmyK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:59 am a bit vague
The whole process is vague. The only way to really find out is to send the form and see what the reply is. And even then, it seems there is still room to argue your case if you get denied. You should try for Class 2.
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks. You’re right about the vagueness! Already approved for Class 3, but after reading some posts about people questioning this and then getting approval for Class 2, I thought I might go back to them again. Maybe too late now. We’ll see.