Recommended Videos

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: Recommended Videos

Post by Bubblegun »

adamu wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:41 am
Bubblegun wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:34 am WHY WE SHOULDN'T USE PAYMENT APPS. everything is so rosy, simple and fun, with these apps.
Disclaimer: not watched the video, just replying to the comment.

They add a unique aspect to the market. Previously, a vendor had to set up a complicated device and organize a contract with a payment service.

Now, they just need to register an account on the smartphone, and the customers use their own smartphone to pay. Much lower barriers to entry, because it takes advantage of the fact that everyone walks around with a computer connected to the internet in their pocket nowadays, and is probably why many places accept PayPay but not card payments.

Personally I stopped using them as a primary payment method, because they've lost their competitive edge since becoming mainstream and I don't like giving companies a chance to spam me with marketing when I'm just trying to pay for something. But I still use them if there's no other cashless option, and to use up time-limited Rakuten points.
Don't worry Adamu, There wasn't a video about the apps. I just keep looking for one but can't find one, even though there is quite bit written up about these apps from an psychological economic perspective.

I agree with you totally. I've never liked them mainly due to psychology behind them. The Speed, Convenience,Impulsive,Ease, don't allow people to pause and actually mentally visualize their cash.Because it doesn't seem like cash. Kinda has that Super Mario gamification element to it. Little Pings, hitting that dopamine response, rather than the pain response you might get by physically handing over cash. Anyway, I have stayed away from those app vids.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Mialou

Post by Mialou »

Bubblegun wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:57 pm
adamu wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:41 am
Bubblegun wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:34 am WHY WE SHOULDN'T USE PAYMENT APPS. everything is so rosy, simple and fun, with these apps.
Disclaimer: not watched the video, just replying to the comment.

They add a unique aspect to the market. Previously, a vendor had to set up a complicated device and organize a contract with a payment service.

Now, they just need to register an account on the smartphone, and the customers use their own smartphone to pay. Much lower barriers to entry, because it takes advantage of the fact that everyone walks around with a computer connected to the internet in their pocket nowadays, and is probably why many places accept PayPay but not card payments.

Personally I stopped using them as a primary payment method, because they've lost their competitive edge since becoming mainstream and I don't like giving companies a chance to spam me with marketing when I'm just trying to pay for something. But I still use them if there's no other cashless option, and to use up time-limited Rakuten points.
Don't worry Adamu, There wasn't a video about the apps. I just keep looking for one but can't find one, even though there is quite bit written up about these apps from an psychological economic perspective.

I agree with you totally. I've never liked them mainly due to psychology behind them. The Speed, Convenience,Impulsive,Ease, don't allow people to pause and actually mentally visualize their cash.Because it doesn't seem like cash. Kinda has that Super Mario gamification element to it. Little Pings, hitting that dopamine response, rather than the pain response you might get by physically handing over cash. Anyway, I have stayed away from those app vids.
Not a video, but Avoiding data collection by these companies, and also helping smaller shops especially, avoiding all the non cash options is good. But this is at the expense of convenience and your own credit cards or app rewards.
Paypay right now is the cheapest with a 1.98% fee on the business part, some do go up to a 4% fee. So only for smaller shops i try to use only cash.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Just watched this Japanese presentation from Asakura-san at Morningstar Japan’s 2023 conference:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1pBtp-Tc ... e=youtu.be

TLDW; do tsumitate in globally diversified index funds in your tax-favoured accounts. (Presentation slides are at the YouTube link if you don’t wanna watch the whole thing.)

This is basically the favoured approach around here, but he has some interesting slides along the way.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm Just watched this Japanese presentation from Asakura-san at Morningstar Japan’s 2023 conference:

TLDW; do tsumitate in globally diversified index funds in your tax-favoured accounts. (Presentation slides are at the YouTube link if you don’t wanna watch the whole thing.)

This is basically the favoured approach around here, but he has some interesting slides along the way.
This was a very good presentation, thanks for sharing. It seems like a very good introductory video for otherwise intelligent people who are unfamiliar with the world of investing, perfect for, say, a Japanese spouse/partner. He does a great job explaining the simplicity of investing without dumbing it down or insulting the intelligence of this audience.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Very good new episode form The Rational Reminder

Basic Personal Finance Concepts | Rational Reminder 241
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0I8m7JqmKY

Expenses and Budgeting.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Another excellent episode from the Rational Reminder Podcast

Prof. John Y. Campbell: Financial Decisions for Long-term Investors | Rational Reminder 250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQAV1vzuAU

I was going to paste it to the various discussions on Currency Hedging, but then there are other sections that are equally deserving of shout out...

0:48:00 Prof. Campbell discusses Growth Stocks vs Value Stocks as a Long-Term Hedge
Value Stocks increase Long-Term Risk
Conservative Long-Term Investors would want to tilt towards Growth Stocks
Aggressive Long-Term Investors would want to tilt towards Value Stocks so that they preserve Value for when they want to Invest in Growth when growth is cheap...

1:00:50 Prof. Campbell discusses Currency Hedging Strategies
Some Currencies move correlated with, and some more inversely correlated with, the markets, and so
From one side base currency you may want to hedge, whilst from the other, you would not want to hedge.
Interesting discussion with the Yen moving from one of the strongest to one of the weakest in just 25 years.

1:06:00 Prof. Campbell discusses Currency Exposure with Fixed Income
Bond investments should (probably) always be Currency Hedged, as the returns are not so large, and the currency risk poses a higher level of noise for Fixed Income than for Equity investments.

1:26:20 Prof. Campbell discusses Selection of Mortgages
Variable Rate vs Fixed Rate Mortgages and when it would be preferable to use one or the other...
Mortgage Contract Risk - Rising Interest rates vs Rate Lock In.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm Just watched this Japanese presentation from Asakura-san at Morningstar Japan’s 2023 conference:

Very good presentation. Well worth watching. Thanks for sharing!
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TBS

Post by TBS »

James Shack roasts the strategy of delaying making investments today because you expect a crash and to be able to buy more cheaply in future:

Don't Bet on a Stock Market Crash (Do this instead) (8:33)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nVyMFAW1M
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

TBS wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:11 pm James Shack roasts the strategy of delaying making investments today because you expect a crash and to be able to buy more cheaply in future:

Don't Bet on a Stock Market Crash (Do this instead) (8:33)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nVyMFAW1M
Great video.
TBS wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:04 pm This is a common misnomer caused by people just looking at index numbers and not considering dividends.
I wonder if this simulation also accounted for dividends?

He also says the best strategy is removing emotion from the equation and making simple monthly investments, the point I have been making regarding the New NISA. I'm waiting for the "I'm ready to sell and rebuy my lump sum, but should I wait a bit longer?" threads in January 🤭

Also, nice kitchen.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

adamu wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:55 am "I'm ready to sell and rebuy my lump sum, but should I wait a bit longer?" threads in January 🤭

Also, nice kitchen.
You can easily do both....

Setup a tsumitate and lump sum the rest.