The RetireJapan Guide to iDeCo

RetireJapan
Site Admin

The RetireJapan Guide to iDeCo

Post by RetireJapan »

This thread is for feedback/suggestions: already had a great one from PC suggesting a walkthrough of opening an SBI account -already added to the guide :)

Anything else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: The RetireJapan Guide to iDeCo

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Are you going to put this out on Amazon? It could only increase your sales.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I thought about it. I have two books out on Kindle already, but sadly they aren't doing spectacularly.

Not sure. I presume most of the sales would come from the site, so giving Amazon 30% (or 60% more likely, as I don't think it would be worth going exclusive) seems counter-productive.

I'm planning to have a range of these, so liked the idea of keeping control of everything.

On the other hand you could be right and Amazon could publicise and sell these in numbers I could only dream of...

What do you think? Am I cutting my own legs off, May-style?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

No, I think you are right that most of the sales will be site driven and you can claim the full price, but I do think some people would be more inclined to to buy what they see as 'proper books' as opposed to a PDF. They might also be unsure about security of payments through a smaller site. I'm sure Gum Road is perfectly safe and reputable, but most people have used Amazon and know what they are giving their credit card details to.

Actually, I forgot about the exclusivity thing and royalties so you are probably right to do it as you are! Especially as really only people in Japan are going to buy it and you probably don't need it on Amazon's world sites.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Another thing I like is having full control of this side of things. I can change the file instantly (on Kindle it takes 24-48 hours if I remember correctly). I can give refunds easily if necessary, but it's my decision.

And I get my customers' contact info etc.

With Amazon they get all that, and you don't have the control.

I'm in this for the long term, and I can think of about twenty of these Guides I could write that would be useful for people.

But I'm not sure. I might be foolishly giving up publicity for the site and much greater sales :?

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

But at the end of the day I like the fact that the people who end up buying these know me and know the site, and understand what we are doing here.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

Wanted to say thank you for the iDeCo guide, appreciate the effort you put into this and I am happy to have the materials in English.

Looking forward to your next guides.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

vapid wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 am Wanted to say thank you for the iDeCo guide, appreciate the effort you put into this and I am happy to have the materials in English.

Looking forward to your next guides.
Thanks, vapid, that is very kind of you :)

Just over two weeks to go!

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)