Accounts possibly going to be suspended

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
JimNasium
Veteran

Accounts possibly going to be suspended

Post by JimNasium »

Well I’m in a bit of a bind here.

Current situation: iDeCo, T-NISA and some index funds with MONEX, and a separate account with SBI with index funds.

I’m on a 3 year working visa that expires this year on 12/01. I got married in January this year, so I’m going to switch over to a spouse visa. In the beginning of October I got my documents together, but I had a problem with my tax certificate. I went to city hall and they said my company hadn’t done their 2021 return yet. I talked to my manager and she said their accountant is busy and hasn’t finished it yet. I went to immigration with everything but the tax certificate, and they accepted my papers and stamped my residence card. They just said to bring the tax certificate when it’s finished. A few weeks later my manager tells me their accountant forgot about my iDeCo, so it’s going to be delayed until they can fix it. I talked to city hall and they said the earliest it’s going to be done is 11/29.

I’ve gotten letters from both Monex and SBI saying to send my new residence card before the expiry date or my accounts will be suspended. It’s going to be impossible to do because my residence card expires on 12/01, and I won’t get my new card until at the earliest the middle of December.

So what’s going to happen here? I assume my accounts will be suspended, so will I just have to send a copy of my new residence card when it comes and they will unsuspend my account?

Also, is this situation very strange? You would think our company would have done last years taxes by now.

And one more question, is it possible to do my yearly taxes myself? I really don’t want to have to go through this again.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Accounts possibly going to be suspended

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

JimNasium wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:32 am Well I’m in a bit of a bind here.

Current situation: iDeCo, T-NISA and some index funds with MONEX, and a separate account with SBI with index funds.

I’m on a 3 year working visa that expires this year on 12/01. I got married in January this year, so I’m going to switch over to a spouse visa. In the beginning of October I got my documents together, but I had a problem with my tax certificate. I went to city hall and they said my company hadn’t done their 2021 return yet. I talked to my manager and she said their accountant is busy and hasn’t finished it yet. I went to immigration with everything but the tax certificate, and they accepted my papers and stamped my residence card. They just said to bring the tax certificate when it’s finished. A few weeks later my manager tells me their accountant forgot about my iDeCo, so it’s going to be delayed until they can fix it. I talked to city hall and they said the earliest it’s going to be done is 11/29.

I’ve gotten letters from both Monex and SBI saying to send my new residence card before the expiry date or my accounts will be suspended. It’s going to be impossible to do because my residence card expires on 12/01, and I won’t get my new card until at the earliest the middle of December.

So what’s going to happen here? I assume my accounts will be suspended, so will I just have to send a copy of my new residence card when it comes and they will unsuspend my account?

Also, is this situation very strange? You would think our company would have done last years taxes by now.

And one more question, is it possible to do my yearly taxes myself? I really don’t want to have to go through this again.
Though I cannot comment on the accounting practices of your current employer, you can setup ideco so you are in charge of funding it, not your employer.

Why not reach out to Monex? It might just be policy they are bound by, but perhaps they can be flexible.

Also check linkedIn, see if anyone in the company is jumping ship, sniff around a bit perhaps.

If it's publically traded you should be able to easily tell if there are any concerns as well.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

This happened to me with Rakuten Bank a few years ago. They froze my account (I couldn't take money out) but sending them the updated residence card fixed everything. Not sure how it would work for Securities companies but I assume it's a similar idea. All your money would still be there. You just can't do anything with it until it gets unfrozen.

Actually now that I think about it, I didn't send them the residence card until like half a year later and I could still use the account for a few months after my card "expired" so if its 2 weeks you might fall within that grace period.
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

Thanks for the replies. I’m just gonna ride it out and see what happens. Hopefully like zeroshiki said the accounts will just be frozen, and once I send the copy of my residence card they’ll unfreeze it.
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

the beginning of October I got my documents together, but I had a problem with my tax certificate. I went to city hall and they said my company hadn’t done their 2021 return yet. I
CFO of a Japanese company here.

I'm not sure I fully understand the situation, but - do you know when the fiscal year ends for your company? The company must file and pay any taxes within 60 days of the end of the fiscal year. So...yeah, I guess if the company's fiscal year started in October 2021 - September 2022, maybe it hasn't paid the most recent year yet? Otherwise, it's shady AF.

Second - and again, perhaps I'm missing info, but - the company 'not having finished its 2021 return yet' would be irrelevant to your tax certificate. Also, your accountant 'forgetting' about your iDeCo is pretty much impossible.

My spidey sense is that some shady shit is going on.