How do you justify big purchases?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: How do you justify big purchases?

Post by Bubblegun »

How to justify a big purchase?
I suppose for me I see it as an investment. An investment in fun, experiences, memories. I also justify because I know I've been saving for years now. So if its that World Cup match in Japan, or a concert. Yeah.its worth it. I CAN justify because A) I dont smoke. So 365 day X 500=182,500 yen. I don't so,lets say that's another 10.000 yen a month. So for once in a life time experience I can justify it.Its only once, and we only life once!. plus, I don't think I'm going to be miss out on being a millionaire because I took one flight home, in 5 years. I also have my secret 500 yen can that can't be opened until its really needed. eg cricket match.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

One of my hobbies is taking pictures, and I spend a little on that--actual equipment, or peripherals (software, good computer, etc).
Last edited by captainspoke on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Thanks for your replies everyone.

With the test match going the way it did, I feel even more regret that I didn't go. Ah well. I guess the main stumbling block was the flight cost - I'm not quite ready to spend 250,000 yen on a flight yet...

I've always been fine spending money on experiences in the past, like watching the cricket in Bangladesh in 2016. But I didn't save much then. Now I'm doing T-NISA and iDeCo etc, I guess I need to work a little more at getting the right balance between saving and spending.

And so I might have to visit the UK this summer for the Ashes....!
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Now ticketed to the california in february (zipair, but splurged on full flat = big purchase), visiting one of our kids (and her husband and grandkids), our other one will fly there at the same time. One of my sisters is planning to come, the other one, too, if she can swing it. Main purpose is to see these people, easy to justify.
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

Now ticketed to the california in february (zipair, but splurged on full flat = big purchase)
@captainspoke: Please follow up your trip with a review after returning. Zipair pricing is extremely attractive given the extortionate amounts currently being asked for to fly to north America. The flatbed is the most worthwhile feature of business class - I don’t care about the brand of champagne or amenity kit - and economy class overnight flights should be outlawed for people older than 50 or taller than 150cm!
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Tokyo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm
Now ticketed to the california in february (zipair, but splurged on full flat = big purchase)
@captainspoke: Please follow up your trip with a review after returning. ...
I'll try to remember, they apparently have wifi, so if it's not too slow then maybe a live report!?

With the choices we made (amenity packs, meals, and price varied some depending on days), tickets were a little under ¥32万/person. I was worried that the cheaper/cheapest seats would be sold out, but we were able to peg our exact dates, and tho it wasn't crucial, adjoining seats (seemed about 1/3 to 1/4 of seats were still available).

https://www.zipair.net/en/
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

Tokyo wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:58 pm
@captainspoke: Please follow up your trip with a review after returning. ...
I'll try to remember, they apparently have wifi, so if it's not too slow then maybe a live report!?

With the choices we made (amenity packs, meals, and price varied some depending on days), tickets were a little under ¥32万/person. I was worried that the cheaper/cheapest seats would be sold out, but we were able to peg our exact dates, and tho it wasn't crucial, adjoining seats (seemed about 1/3 to 1/4 of seats were still available).
お願いします!

Zipair charges you for things other airlines give you for free (meals, business lounge, amenities) but strangely offers free wi-fi. Maybe that’s cheaper than providing seatback screens? ¥32万 is not cheap but ANA want more than double that, hence my interest.

Have a safe trip!
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

captainspoke wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:34 pm ....
Main purpose is to see these people, easy to justify.
yeah, this.
I used to visit "home" at least 3 times in 2 years in pre-covid days. After late 2019, I went back once in 2021. And I am going again 2 weeks from now. The thought that I don't have unlimited time with my parents makes it a worthwhile expense for me. It costs about JPY 100-120k for a round trip on economy class flight with one-stop connection in each leg. I budget for this in my yearly expense estimation.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I budget about $10,000-15,000 a year for travel.
Last couple of years, we've spent far less, so we're splurging a bit on our next trip (first since 2019). Flying business class, but with miles I bought on the cheap, so about $2,000 per person roundtrip.

Day-to-day we live on the cheap and only eat out perhaps once a month (that includes lunch and dinner).

We are nearing the point where 2-4 week family vacations are going to be less likely/harder to schedule, so might as well do it now.

We do have a new EV car penciled in, but it may be a year or two before that happens.
7-seasons.com
Regular

Post by 7-seasons.com »

Gareth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:27 am Not quite sure what my question is. But am reflecting a little tonight!

Since turning 40, I’ve been really aware of not spending too much, saving more, whacking money into T-NISA and iDeCo, thinking more about the future.

And I thought I had been doing pretty well. I don’t have huge day to day expenses. I don’t spend much on crap.

But I do love a bit of travel and adventure. I had chance to go to Pakistan this week for the cricket. I um’d and ah’d for ages before eventually deciding not to go, entirely for money reasons. And with England romping on the first day, I have pretty big regrets for not going. I could have afforded it but chose not to spend the money.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is, how have you justified big purchases? Like a week in Pakistan watching cricket! How are you finding the balance between enjoying life and not wasting money? I don’t think I’m asking the question very well but I think you’ll get the point of what I’m trying to ask.
Have you seen the "I will teach you to be rich" dude? He has what he calls 'money dials' where he spends heavy on stuff he cares about and is frugal on everything else. Personal example: I care about family experiences and education/learning so I justify spending on the computer and eating out (generally cheap places or single item orders for more frequent occasions), and then don't spend much on toys, no car, not much travel, fairly cheap clothes and don't buy souvenirs generally, etc. Then the stuff you like - imagine spending 5x or 10x your normal budget - in other words enhance your spending and deck out what you enjoy. Easy to imagine for travel - upgraded seat and room, invite friends.