How do you justify big purchases?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Silversurfer

Re: How do you justify big purchases?

Post by Silversurfer »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm Read Die With Zero and Four Thousand Weeks.
What about your three kids?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Silversurfer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:26 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm Read Die With Zero and Four Thousand Weeks.
What do you mean?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:10 am
What do you mean?
If you “cease to be” with zero your loved ones will not inherit anything if I understand you correctly. I apologize if I am in error.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Silversurfer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 am If you “cease to be” with zero your loved ones will not inherit anything if I understand you correctly. I apologize if I am in error.
More detail here: https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/book-r ... with-zero/

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Sometimes we don't need to give our kids much. It might be ok if you're a millionaire, but I have met many a poor grandparent, and a very rich child earning over $150,000 a year while their parents live on a state pension. We give our kids as much as possible, but not to the detriment and quality of our lives. Some of us just work in a restaurant, a shop, or just a small English school. Not exactly lawyers, pilots, doctors salaries. Sometimes our children make their own way in life and are very happy. But some parents have their problems. For me, the best thing to give our Kids isn't the money or an inheritance, but our time and maybe their own experiences. If there is something for them,(after paying for their college) I hope they can enjoy it.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

I love cars and bought a luxury vehicle on a loan. I invested money from the sale of our last car (rather than using it towards the new one) and bought some stock which now accounts for about half of the outstanding amount that will be payable at the end of next year. Hopefully they’ll be worth even more then. My family like the luxury. We have a kei car for local travel but I wouldn’t want that for excursions. I am quite happy with that and my wife and I are happy not to deny ourselves the pleasure.

Long story short, you can’t take it with you so if a particular thing gives you pleasure, go for it. I don’t think I’ll regret my taste in cars on my deathbed.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

banders wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:57 am I love cars and bought a luxury vehicle on a loan. I invested money from the sale of our last car (rather than using it towards the new one) and bought some stock which now accounts for about half of the outstanding amount that will be payable at the end of next year. Hopefully they’ll be worth even more then. My family like the luxury. We have a kei car for local travel but I wouldn’t want that for excursions. I am quite happy with that and my wife and I are happy not to deny ourselves the pleasure.

Long story short, you can’t take it with you so if a particular thing gives you pleasure, go for it. I don’t think I’ll regret my taste in cars on my deathbed.
Nice. I kind of do something similar by renting nicer cars than we need when we travel :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I bought myself a nice mechanical keyboard, fancy mouse and mouse mat. Total outlay about 20,000 yen and the keyboard and mouse have RGB lighting which makes me smile every time I see it. A delayed Christmas present maybe.

My eight year old son is very jealous.

On a side note, the keyboard weighs 2kg and feels like it would survive a nuclear war.

Frippery aside, we’ve kind of moved past big purchases now. We did buy a new (ish) car last year, an ex demo VW for 4 million yen but I’m really happy with it - the upgrades on safety features alone vs our previous 2007 Mazda are great. I simply can’t imagine driving in Tokyo now without the predictive collision warning on the wing mirrors, CarPlay, voice guidance on upcoming lane assignments etc.

I’ve also been very happy with the lane keeping and (especially) the adaptive cruise control which keeps the car running happily in heavy traffic with no inputs from the driver. It does require 100% concentration still but does give the right foot a bit of a rest alternating between the brake and accelerator.