UK state pension cancels direct debit (why?) and sends bill

JimmyK
Regular

Re: UK state pension cancels direct debit (why?) and sends bill

Post by JimmyK »

Sure, paying all back payments at once should avoid issues with HMRC’s odd system. Keeping direct debit in place going forward should then be fine. All well and good if your total back payments are a manageable sum, but not ideal if it’s a larger amount. In my case, I also wanted to test out the process first, by making only 1 year’s back payment initially. Call me a skeptic pessimist, but I’m glad I did as I did experience problems. In any case, with the April 5th deadline looming I guess most people will already have gathered together the necessary funds to pay it all off by now. Unless anyone’s expecting a windfall in the next few weeks!
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Gareth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:03 am Seems I’m the only supporter of direct debits haha!
I'm with you Gareth!
I made 12 years of back-payments first (Class 2 thankfully), then set up a direct debit with Nationwide... The money comes out monthly and for the last 3 years, everything has been fine.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Am I still correct in that once we hit the 35 year payment mark, there is no benefit to paying in any more?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Bubblegun wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 am Am I still correct in that once we hit the 35 year payment mark, there is no benefit to paying in any more?
Yes
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Beaglehound wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:18 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 am Am I still correct in that once we hit the 35 year payment mark, there is no benefit to paying in any more?
Yes
I don't think this is true.
My dad paid in way more than 35 years, and his state pension is now significantly more than the current top limit.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I see. Ok I did the usual internet search and came up with this.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/un ... sion#toc-0

You’ll need 35 qualifying years to get the new full State Pension if you do not have a National Insurance record before 6 April 2016.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:33 am
Yes
My dad paid in way more than 35 years, and his state pension is now significantly more than the current top limit.
This could be SERPS- state earnings related pension scheme, which has been in existence since about the late 70s, it has been wound down and integrated into the higher value new state pension.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:53 am

Yes
This could be SERPS- state earnings related pension scheme, which has been in existence since about the late 70s, it has been wound down and integrated into the higher value new state pension.
That's what I was looking for. I knew there was some scheme which I remember Thatcher talking about. I also found this about the additional state pension, which makes this all complicated. By the Looks of it they've been wound down.
https://www.gov.uk/additional-state-pen ... acting-out
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Yes
He may also be on the old state pension if born before April 1951.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:58 am

That's what I was looking for. I knew there was some scheme which I remember Thatcher talking about. I also found this about the additional state pension, which makes this all complicated. By the Looks of it they've been wound down.
https://www.gov.uk/additional-state-pen ... acting-out
Your NI record should tell you how many more years you, individually, need to contribute to get the maximum payout. In general it is 35 years and there is no point paying more but there are some exceptions. See the wiki:

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingdom