Government Gateway (UK) confirm identity method update!

Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Government Gateway (UK) confirm identity method update!

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

adamu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:43 am
richardnoge wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:46 amI applied for the new photo ID driving license online from Japan. I used my parents address in the UK which was printed on my 1982 old paper license. There was a box to tick to allow DVLC to use my passport photo in the HMRC records which I duly ticked. Charged my Japanese credit card and it worked!
You also ticked the box that said you are definitely resident in the UK and you are definitely not lying. ;)
I am finding that the British government, with the possible exception of the state pension is becoming more and more unfriendly to Brits who are residing overseas. Up until a few years ago you could renew a phot ID driving license and invest in Unit trusts perfectly legally.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:14 am Up until a few years ago you could renew a phot ID driving license
This has not been the case since I started looking into it, in 2014.

I'm going to write to DVLA and see if we can get this cleared up. Let's see if they reply... 🐌📮

edit: Oh, you can email them, and they claim to reply within three days 📧
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:10 am Your Japanese wife is paying into the British state pension?
UK state pension is not nationality based, so non-nationals who worked in the UK at some point can presumably continue paying voluntary contributions once they leave. Pretty sweet deal if so (Japan only allows Japanese nationals to pay into kokumin nenkin on a voluntary basis from abroad).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:29 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:10 am Your Japanese wife is paying into the British state pension?
UK state pension is not nationality based, so non-nationals who worked in the UK at some point can presumably continue paying voluntary contributions once they leave. Pretty sweet deal if so (Japan only allows Japanese nationals to pay into kokumin nenkin on a voluntary basis from abroad).
Yes, it’s possible if you satisfy the 3 years (I think) of payment condition. My wife paid in for 16 years so can continue.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Indeed. My wife was living and working in the UK for a few years before we moved here, has an NI Number and all that, so is legally permitted to continue paying into the pension system from abroad. It seems too good to be true, doesn't it? We wouldn't be too surprised if they suddenly said "Sorry foreigners, only British citizens and/or residents can get a state pension from now". Not sure if they'd return her voluntary contributions if this happens? But right now it seems like a risk worth taking :)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

northSaver wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:31 am
Indeed. My wife was living and working in the UK for a few years before we moved here, has an NI Number and all that, so is legally permitted to continue paying into the pension system from abroad. It seems too good to be true, doesn't it? We wouldn't be too surprised if they suddenly said "Sorry foreigners, only British citizens and/or residents can get a state pension from now". Not sure if they'd return her voluntary contributions if this happens? But right now it seems like a risk worth taking :)
I very much doubt if they would renege on the obligation to pay out on contributions paid in so far. Far more likely that the ability to continue paying in would be removed IMO.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Beaglehound wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:36 am I very much doubt if they would renege on the obligation
Like that time they destroyed the immigration records for the Windrush generation then deported them for not having evidence of their legality? :shock:
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

adamu wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:10 am
Beaglehound wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:36 am I very much doubt if they would renege on the obligation
Like that time they destroyed the immigration records for the Windrush generation then deported them for not having evidence of their legality? :shock:
You will note I was not definitive :D
richardnoge
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by richardnoge »

UK photo ID. Yes, I took the chance! There is a strong possibility I will retire spending 50-50 between UK and Japan in 3 years time when I hit 65. Both of my sons live and work in London… so, we (Japanese wife) should become more “UK resident” soon. I need to keep track of my voluntary pension payments and plan to declare my residency in UK to get the annual increases… and spend just under half a year in Japan. I am lucky to have paid fully qualified into both pension systems so should be a reasonable amount… oh.. from age 66 though in UK it seems. This is why I took the risk to get the UK photo ID for my approaching retirement. The new photo ID is valid till I reach 70…. so I should be OK for the next renewal.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

northSaver wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:31 am
My wife who is Polish did live in the UK for a year when my kids were going to primary school. She does have a national insurance number. She also has a unique taxpayer reference for her for a flat we have in London, which is put through her name for the tax return. Is it worth a try in getting the voluntary NICs for the state pension? We are both residing in Japan.