Renaming RetireJapan

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Renaming RetireJapan

Post by RetireJapan »

OwenM wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:44 am Though it’s been rather beaten to death, the word FIRE could perhaps help to crossover and attract Japanese readers, too. It might be interesting to have you interview some of the authors you recommend or Japanese bloggers related to this area. Could retire Japan become a hub for bilingual Japanese who are interested in Nisa, iDeco etc.?

Personally I like the name just fine. It has a low key feel that accurately describes why people should come here. I’m not really into being sold any particular lifestyle other than understanding how to manage finances in Japan.
Thanks! I don't think we're very FIRE-y here on the site (although I've more or less managed to).

I think it's a very niche, extreme thing that doesn't suit most people and could put of the very people I started the site to help 😅

You're right about the appeal to some Japanese people though: seems to be a bit of a (not very well understood) buzzword here now...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

IMO the name is fine as is.

The goal of financial planning seems to be more or less central, and since "japan finance" has been taken by that other place... :cry:
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I get the feeling that, in the case of an online entity like this site, for the most part it's not the name that people are alerted and attracted to, but rather the result of a keyword search on a search engine. By which I mean that the current name is just as good as any other name as long as the site's content is on-topic - and it certainly is that.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Riffing on some ideas: (while avoiding 'finance/financial') (and maybe as tag line to RetireJapan, rather than a full renaming)

(achieve/ing) wealth in japan

money (management) in japan

investing (in) japan / japan investing

money matters (in) japan
smalldog
Regular

Post by smalldog »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:21 am Riffing on some ideas: (while avoiding 'finance/financial') (and maybe as tag line to RetireJapan, rather than a full renaming)

(achieve/ing) wealth in japan

money (management) in japan

investing (in) japan / japan investing

money matters (in) japan
I like the idea of using the word “Wealth” which covers all manor of bases from starting out to invest in Japan for temporary expats right up to building a full strategy for retirement for lifers. Something like “Japan Wealth Guide” to me does a great job.

Agree with others that Retire Japan is fine, but there is for sure a better name out there which will only assist the product in growth.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

I wouldn't change it. I don't think the benefits would outweigh the hassle involved and possible confusion caused.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Marcus Halberstram
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Marcus Halberstram »

Don't change it. It's easy to say and remember; short and sweet. I think it's too late now, too. As someone said earlier, Meta just sounds naff and pretentious. Think PensionCraft on Youtube. He's moved away from talking about pensions to more about macro economics. The name has stuck and now would be difficult to rebrand IMO.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

I think it is too late now.

The brand is established, it wouldn't be a wise move unless you plan on spending a lot in advertisement.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

I like how on this site there is space for personal finance but also everyday stuff, like someone recently asking for crockery recommendations, or stuff related to home maintenance, or cheap travel. In other words, it’s about all aspects of preserving, growing and using money wisely for those living here. A move to a more wealth/investment focused name might threaten that balance.
kawasemi
Regular

Post by kawasemi »

"RetireJapan" is totally fine.
I don't really see any downside to it.

I like the inclusivity of "residents" too. Some folks might fall in the "expat" trap there, but you didn't.