First steps towards investing

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Aramusha

First steps towards investing

Post by Aramusha »

Hello and Happy New Year!

I´m new to financial investments and first would like to thank the members in advance for what they already shared. I read into some of the topics available but would still like to get some insights and advice.

I´m a total novice in regards to managing my finances. Since moving to Japan (right after finishing University), I started to save round about 15% of my monthly salary. Currently, I have around 350man in savings with MUFG. Money which is basically doing nothing – which I´d like to change. I started reading some books by US authors (I´m German), so most of my understanding is based on those and what I found online about investing in Japan (mainly also thanks to this page and the forum). Just to give some more details about my current financial background:

- Open Student credit (approx. 4000 EUR, currently being paid on a quarterly basis)
- Loan on a house in Tokyo which my wife and I are currently paying off
- Daughter (6 years) just started going to an international school in Tokyo

My – rough – goal is to invest around 100man per year, based on how I progressed the past years. Now, with our daughter in school this might change in the foreseeable future, but I think it should be doable. 100man is the minimum I would like to achieve.

I´m currently waiting for my MyNumber card in order to open an account with SBI – based on advice from a friend it looks like the right option for my needs. I will go ahead and open a NISA account and would also like to go towards iDeCo. A first question:

1.) I read that from 2024 the New (eternal) NISA will start. If I now start with Tsumitate NISA, can I move to the eternal one in 2024 easily?

Based on the (few) books I read (and am still reading) the most suitable solution for me would be a three fund portfolio. I am not interested in short term investments – nothing actively managed, so a passive approach it should be (I would like to divide my portfolio into index funds (domestic, global and bonds)). I am thinking of a 70/30 ratio – although I read that most people use their age as an indicator how many bonds one should acquire (I´ll be turning 37 in March).

My second question would be:
2.) In this forum I read that people recommend the following items:
a. Emaxis Slim All Country.
b. SBI - Via SMBC GOLD NL - SBI V Global Equity Index Fund
c. Fidelity ZERO Large Cap Index (FNILX)

How about domestic index funds and bonds? In the books I read, people were all over the Vanguard items – are those available in Japan, too? Or are there similar items one can choose from?

Besides NISA and iDeCo, I´m also thinking of opening a taxable account, again based on a three index fund portfolio. Any hints or things I should avoid?

After getting started with NISA and iDeCo, I would like to do the same for my wife, which should get us both into a good position for the future. But one step at a time.

I might still have some additional questions later, but for now: Thanks to those of you who take time to response.

Best wishes,
Michael
adamu
Sage

Re: First steps towards investing

Post by adamu »

Welcome.
Aramusha wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:57 am In the books I read, people were all over the Vanguard items – are those available in Japan, too? Or are there similar items one can choose from?
Japanese global index funds
Aramusha wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:57 am Besides NISA and iDeCo, I´m also thinking of opening a taxable account, again based on a three index fund portfolio. Any hints or things I should avoid?
Securities account types
Aramusha

Re: First steps towards investing

Post by Aramusha »

Perfect, thank you very much!

Michael