Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account?

alberto
Regular

Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account?

Post by alberto »

Simple question: Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account? I guess that money goes directly to the cash balance in the broker account, out of the NISA account, but I have never checked it and I would like to confirm because I cannot find it in the broker (SBI in my case). I have not been aware of those capital increases, although since they are not so big each time, I guess they can go unnoticed. Thank you!
adamu
Sage

Re: Where is the money obtained from dividends in the NISA account?

Post by adamu »

Dividends and capital gains are two seperate things.

Dividends are paid into your brokerage account, as you expected. Capital gains are visible in the current price of the asset.

You can view your cash balance and current portfolio value by clicking on 口座管理, the third silver button in the top right.

Your cash balance is in the bottom left, next to 現金残高等. Foreign currency balances are in a separate tab labelled 外通建て (the default is the yen tab, 円建て).
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Do you use SBI netbank along with SBI securities? If so your securities account and "bank" account are the same account.

Furthermore, is it possible you purchased a trust that reinvests its dividends?
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

adamu wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:30 pmDividends are paid into your brokerage account, as you expected. Your cash balance is in the bottom left, next to 現金残高等.
Yes, I am talking about dividends only, in this case. So I guess every time there is a distribution, that money go to the cash balance (現金残高等), although I have never realized, probably because each time it is not so much money. Thank you!
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:51 pm Do you use SBI netbank along with SBI securities? If so your securities account and "bank" account are the same account. Furthermore, is it possible you purchased a trust that reinvests its dividends?
Yes, it is the same account, so I guess dividends are going to the cash balance, and I probably did not even realize (because the amounts are small). Most of the ETFs I have distribute dividends, but I never thought what was happening with those dividends. Thanks!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

alberto wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:03 pm Yes, I am talking about dividends only, in this case. So I guess every time there is a distribution
Dividends and distributions are not the same thing, although I understand dividends are a kind of distribution. Anyway, not relevant to this question 🙃

They email you and send you a PDF every time they pay out. You can see the PDFs in 口座管理→電子交付書面.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I have a t-NISA with SBI and set it up so any dividends are automatically reinvested.
I am not sure how to check the actual amount of dividends though....

Is this the same for you?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:39 am I have a t-NISA with SBI and set it up so any dividends are automatically reinvested.

You are buying funds in the T-NISA, correct? If so, there are no dividends (which is a good thing.)

The OP referred to ETFs, many of which do provide regular dividends. This is not the same as your situation with your T-NISA funds.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

beanhead wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:24 am
Roger Van Zant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:39 am I have a t-NISA with SBI and set it up so any dividends are automatically reinvested.

You are buying funds in the T-NISA, correct? If so, there are no dividends (which is a good thing.)

The OP referred to ETFs, many of which do provide regular dividends. This is not the same as your situation with your T-NISA funds.
Correction. Yes there are dividends

The dividends are internally reinvested and not distributed. This avoids a taxable event.

It is preferable in almost all situations.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:20 am
beanhead wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:24 am

Correction. Yes there are dividends

The dividends are internally reinvested and not distributed. This avoids a taxable event.

It is preferable in almost all situations.
Even though the dividends are not redistributed to me, is there a way for me to see how much was reinvested for me? Like, per year, or per month?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓