NISA changes and old topics

zeroshiki
Veteran

NISA changes and old topics

Post by zeroshiki »

Hey guys, some of us have been here a while but I still remember when I took my first steps in trying to understand the maze that is retirement planning in Japan, I used search on this forum alot and I read through all the topics no matter how old. The New NISA and some comments from new posters got me thinking that they might stumble into those old posts and think what we had been saying there are valid (like NISA rollovers for example) when they will become bunk with the Atarashii NISA.

Not sure what's a good solution but maybe some kind of sticky in the NISA forum warning people about the new NISA and to keep the new regulations in mind when reading old stuff?
adamu
Sage

Re: NISA changes and old topics

Post by adamu »

How about some kind of reference that could serve as the most up to date source of information, preferably editable by those interested in helping out? ;)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Good point!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

adamu wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 am How about some kind of reference that could serve as the most up to date source of information, preferably editable by those interested in helping out? ;)
The wiki is excellent but it needs to be more readily accessible to folk who come to the forum I think. As a poster on here I can obviously follow links to it on here, but there is no obvious way I am aware of to access it in its entirety directly from the forum. Is there one I am missing?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:50 amGood point!
Here is a simple solution. From 2024 lock the NISA board and lock existing NISA threads.

Open a "New NISA" board
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I wonder if the NISA board could be renamed Legacy NISA. Because actually for another 19 years people will possibly still have topics to discuss about the old accounts.
No one starting from 2024 will need to think about it.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

sutebayashi wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:44 am I wonder if the NISA board could be renamed Legacy NISA. Because actually for another 19 years people will possibly still have topics to discuss about the old accounts.
No one starting from 2024 will need to think about it.
That is an excellent idea. Thank you!

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
kawasemi
Regular

Post by kawasemi »

Agreed, this is a great idea. Might also be prudent to add a final message to that locked/old board, linking people to the new board.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

kawasemi wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 am
Agreed, this is a great idea. Might also be prudent to add a final message to that locked/old board, linking people to the new board.
Not sure we need to lock anything either. Hopefully it will be fairly intuitive.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:44 am
kawasemi wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 am
Not sure we need to lock anything either. Hopefully it will be fairly intuitive.
People who arrive at a thread through Google could still be lost.

A locked thread is a way of displaying the information may not be accurate any longer.

Furthermore it prevents those threads from being commented on. Thus ensuring they will need to Source out the new board before commenting.