Buy to let mansion- tax deductions

Tkydon
Sage

Re: Buy to let mansion- tax deductions

Post by Tkydon »

eyeswideshut wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:48 am
I bought the flat in December 2020 which I think just qualifies me. Also, all property taxes are deductible. Stamp duty for buy to lets in the UK has become quite expensive over the last few years.
Definitely correct on the property taxes and basically all other fees and taxes related to the purchase, maintenance and management of the property. Those can all be used to create a loss that can be applied to your total income. But my understanding is that you cannot use depreciation expense on overseas properties from 2021 regardless of when they were purchased. In other words, 2020 was the last year this loophole could be used. So if you have been deducting depreciation for your flat in your 2022 and 2023 tax filings you may want to consult a professional just to confirm that this was done correctly.

I bought a place overseas in 2019 (wood-frame, 20+ years, accelerated depreciation over 4 years) and could only use the depreciation amount for the remaining months of 2019 and the full 12 months of 2020. I asked my accountant if there was any grandfathering exception and he said no. It was a hard closure on the loophole.
Yes, for Individual Investors the Overseas Depreciation loophole was closed.

The scenario I described above is for Japanese Properties. I have amended the above to reflect that fact.

Apparently, corporates can still use it...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Tkydon wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:34 pm I promised a 101 doc, so here it is. I'm sure others will offer opinions, suggestions, or corrections... Gratefully received...
This is a simply awesome post. Thank you for going through it in so much detail.

I am quite tempted by this. Does anyone know any good, trustworthy English speaking real estate agents who understand the above and can help out with property selection & finding tenants?

I used Ken Corp before when I bought our house in Tokyo, I wonder if they can help out with this sort of thing.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I used Ken Corp before when I bought our house in Tokyo, I wonder if they can help out with this sort of thing.
I would recommend caution in using Ken Corp. A few years back I was considering a move and had a few real estate firms give me an estimate on the value of our home which is located in the kind of neighborhood in Tokyo that Ken Corporation tends to work in. The estimate from Ken Corp was about 60 million yen less than the other firms and they were the least easy to work with. It might have been an unlucky experience with one bad agent but I would not trust Ken Corp for anything after that experience.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

TokyoWart wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:57 am
I would recommend caution in using Ken Corp. A few years back I was considering a move and had a few real estate firms give me an estimate on the value of our home which is located in the kind of neighborhood in Tokyo that Ken Corporation tends to work in. The estimate from Ken Corp was about 60 million yen less than the other firms and they were the least easy to work with. It might have been an unlucky experience with one bad agent but I would not trust Ken Corp for anything after that experience.
I had a great experience with them, they were professional, easy to work with and even buying the property as a non-resident went smoothly with no issues. Wouldn't hestitate to recommend them!
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I had a great experience with them, they were professional, easy to work with and even buying the property as a non-resident went smoothly with no issues. Wouldn't hestitate to recommend them!
Thank you for sharing that; interesting that our experiences were so different.