Dishes and Cutlery

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
7-seasons.com
Regular

Dishes and Cutlery

Post by 7-seasons.com »

I have a somewhat random assortment of dishes from Ikea and other places since I first came here. Now I have a house and family and am thinking about tossing the lot and buying a set - mainly the standard small, large plates, cereal bowls.

I have grown to dislike my large Ikea dishes and heard that Nitori dishes are weak. That leaves maybe Muji, any others? Any recommendations out there preferably screened through a Japanese woman appreciated!
MyTime
Regular

Re: Dishes and Cutlery

Post by MyTime »

I think the tableware and crockery from 100 yen stores is pretty good.

I've found that tableware that I use on a daily basis eventually gets damaged or broken anyway.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

I'd agree with 100 yen stores, and if you choose right at nitori you can assemble your own 'set' of just what you want or need. Buy in fives, or anything other number of settings.

Not having matching bowls and various plates is a good thing, and rice bowls can be pretty personal vs other dishware.

And cutlery: I (we) have a set of 12, silver plate (not real silver-- which reflects on my family's economic level :lol: ), that I'd let go of cheap. It lives in a nice wooden briefcase sized box with built in dividers and (for lack of a better word) hold'ems in the lid for the knives. Both regular and salad forks and two different spoons for each setting, also a couple serving spoons IIRC. And a gravy ladle.

None of my three sibs wanted it, I brought it here as luggage on one trip or another. Make me an offer...?!?

Edit: consider finding a restaurant supply store for utilitarian stuff.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

7-seasons.com wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:48 pm Any recommendations out there preferably screened through a Japanese woman appreciated!
If I’m buying more upscale and quality dishes and cutlery I usually go to the Tokyu department store in Shibuya (The one directly upstairs from the station) They have nice collections of both Japanese and foreign manufacturers.
7-seasons.com
Regular

Post by 7-seasons.com »

Nice, guess I ll be checking out Tokyu and 100 yen stores!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

When I had to attend a wedding, I bought a cutlery set from Daimaru in Tokyo Station. Basically any upscale-ish department store would have these things, it only depends how much you're willing to spend.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Wedgwood. Royal Albert.
nicolina

Post by nicolina »

Noritake has a fantastic collection.
https://tableware.noritake.co.jp/index. ... gJDNvD_BwE
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

Weird. Just finished doing the dishes with the wife, and we were talking about how nice our Mikasa plates are. Then I stumbled on this thread.

The model is "Concord Blue Line". They're not the cheapest, but they are really easy to eat off of, and to clean. Plus, they blend well with other flatware (not gaudy at all). Last year, we broke a couple of these plates within 1-week of each other (clumsy family!) and couldn't find the replacements online, as they were sold out. We got a couple of cheap ones from a pop-up shop at our local station and... we could immediately tell the difference on first use. One of the cheap ones we got had a rough texture (which we didn't even know to check for), so everytime you "scrape" food off the plate, it makes that ghastly fingernails on chalkboard-like sound. The other plate we got was smooth, but the finish was so poor that after one use, you could see the knife marks on the surface after cutting through food.

None of these are present on the Mikasa plates we got, even after a few years of use.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

A quick trip to Kappabashi will sort you out.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3020.html

Full gamut of cheap to expensive, whatever your tastes.