Best All-Country option within Sony Bank iDeco

SandraD
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Best All-Country option within Sony Bank iDeco

Post by SandraD »

So, I have opened an iDeco account with Sony Bank and looking for some insight into what funds I should invest in.

I was thinking to look for a world index fund but I am looking my list of options on https://moneykit.net/visitor/ideco/ideco03.html and I am at a loss of what I should choose and if I should invest 100% in one fund or select multiple funds.

I'm sure many people have been in similar situations but I'm hoping someone on here has been in this situation with Sony Bank and might have some advice or further information about any of these funds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
beanhead
Sage

Re: Best All-Country option within Sony Bank iDeco

Post by beanhead »

SandraD wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 am So, I have opened an iDeco account with Sony Bank and looking for some insight into what funds I should invest in.

I was thinking to look for a world index fund but I am looking my list of options on https://moneykit.net/visitor/ideco/ideco03.html and I am at a loss of what I should choose and if I should invest 100% in one fund or select multiple funds.

I'm sure many people have been in similar situations but I'm hoping someone on here has been in this situation with Sony Bank and might have some advice or further information about any of these funds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This selection shows why the general advice is to go for one of the big 3 online brokers, or perhaps Matsui.
I am not sure if you can change to another broker, but if it is possible and you have a long time until you get to 60 or 65, it may be worth it.
Of those funds, these passive overseas stock funds are closest.

たわらノーロード 先進国株式 is developed countries

たわらノーロード 新興国株式 is developing.

A mix of these will get you worldwide coverage at low fees.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
SandraD

Post by SandraD »

The big 3 online brokers being SBI, Rakuten & Monex?

I might look into switching.

Thank you for the information you gave here.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

SandraD wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:18 am The big 3 online brokers being SBI, Rakuten & Monex?

I might look into switching.

Thank you for the information you gave here.

たわらノーロード 先進国株式 is decent! My wife has it with Mizuho iDeco. She can't be bothered to switch.
SandraD

Post by SandraD »

[/quote]

たわらノーロード 先進国株式 is decent! My wife has it with Mizuho iDeco. She can't be bothered to switch.
[/quote]

Thank you. This is good to know.

I am still looking into changing providers to Monex so I can invest in the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)though,

I'm new to this and still have quite some time until I'm 60-65 so I think making the effort now to change providers could be a good call. Once I know how easy (or hard) the process is I'll post to let people know.

Thanks again
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I believe it costs just over 4000 yen to move an iDeco account (plus the time figuring it all out).

It looks like Sony bank don't charge you extra fees as long as you pay through Sony bank, but as soon as you stop doing so the fees go up by 319 yen a month. So if you were to ever switch the payment account (or miss a payment) you'd make back the ideco moving fee in about a year in saved fees.

It looks like it's actually run by Mizuho. I agree with beanhead, those two funds are actually not bad, although Tawara funds have considerably fewer total assets compared to the competitors such as eMaxis Slim, SBI, and Rakten.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 am I believe it costs just over 4000 yen to move an iDeco account (plus the time figuring it all out).
Plus 3-5 months for the paperwork to go through. Not a big deal if you have decades to go, but might be worth considering if you are close to the limit you can pay in for.

Which makes me wonder: can we switch providers after we stop being able to pay in?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)