Private Insurance with English support

styxomaniac
Regular

Private Insurance with English support

Post by styxomaniac »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if any of you knows of a private health insurance provider (Aflac etc.) that offers some English support? Maybe someone that offers English agent in one of their larger kiosk.

Thanking in advance.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Private Insurance with English support

Post by captainspoke »

The regular health insurance here is very good, and IMO, you really don't need anything else. Still, via your employer (assuming shakai-hoken) it's really easy to add coverage for yourself and any family--a small payout for hospitalization, a per diem for days spent in a hospital, even a sort of term insurance for a death benefit. Check on this availability before choosing aflac.
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

Thanks for your reply. Since I am self employed, I have the NHI (National Health Insurance) but I am thinking of getting a private health insurance or maybe even a life insurance or unemployment insurance.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

styxomaniac wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm Thanks for your reply. Since I am self employed, I have the NHI (National Health Insurance) but I am thinking of getting a private health insurance or maybe even a life insurance or unemployment insurance.
If you have dependants, term- life insurance is definitely recommended and very affordable. (check kakaku).

Unemployment insurance may not be an option for someone self-employed. ( Too much downside risk for the insurer.)

Private health insurance doesn't offer much for the premiums.
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

Thanks, I'll look into kakaku. I remember someone also suggesting that on the VUL thread.

So you don't think private insurance is worth it? Aside from covering the out of pocket 30% for medical expenses, i heard they also offer "daily monitary allowance" when you get sick. I have friends who got COVID and received ¥100,000 from their private health insurance.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

styxomaniac wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:38 pm Thanks, I'll look into kakaku. I remember someone also suggesting that on the VUL thread.

So you don't think private insurance is worth it? Aside from covering the out of pocket 30% for medical expenses, i heard they also offer "daily monitary allowance" when you get sick. I have friends who got COVID and received ¥100,000 from their private health insurance.
Private medical insurance does not usually cover the 30% out of pocket from medical treatment.

Instead it pays out a per diem for hospital stays etc and a lump sum for specific illnesses.

Many insurers have now eliminated the lump sum for Covid infections.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

One caution on insurance for cancer (as a specific illness).

The fine print may say something (in as many oblique and circuitous words as possible), that your cancer will have to be classed as stage II or above for a policy payout (¥3m or ¥5m or whatever it says).

Tho not all are, due to screening and regular physicals here, a fair proportion of cancers are found early. Eg, I had lung cancer that was staged as Ia, and am now missing the upper lobe of my right lung (and a bit more). I'm okay now, still doing followup checks and so on, but even with a 'cancer' policy it's likely that it would not have paid out--not stage II. (Different type of cancer, but I know of another comparable case, someone in my circles here.) Tho for that I was hospitalized, and opted for a private room, so things like the daily payout for that (¥6000?) did help.
styxomaniac
Regular

Post by styxomaniac »

Thanks for both your replies.
I think i am being paranoid because more and more people within my circle are getting sick for all sorts of reason and with the state of the economy and Japan's health Insurance. I just fear for the worst and I don't want to burden my family if something goes wrong health wise or financially.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

I think finding English support for insurance companies here is not possible. Even the Western companies like Prudential and Zurich are actually Japanese companies with foreign owners.
Combination of your own Japanese language skills, a Japanese partner or friend, and now Google translate/other translation tools are your only options, I think.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.