What is the procedure with NISA if you leave Japan?

alberto
Regular

What is the procedure with NISA if you leave Japan?

Post by alberto »

What is the procedure with NISA if you leave Japan? I guess they would force you to close the broker account, and that forces you to sell everything. Is that correct? Is there any predetermined time they leave you before you have to close the account? Thank you!
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: What is the procedure with NISA if you leave Japan?

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

alberto wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:46 pm What is the procedure with NISA if you leave Japan? I guess they would force you to close the broker account, and that forces you to sell everything. Is that correct? Is there any predetermined time they leave you before you have to close the account? Thank you!
Do you plan to maintain Japanese residency? If not, you'll be forced to sell I believe.
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

Is there any way to maintain Japanese residency if you are not resident in Japan?
How about the permanent visa, does it stop being valid if you leave Japan?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

alberto wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:17 pm Is there any way to maintain Japanese residency if you are not resident in Japan?
How about the permanent visa, does it stop being valid if you leave Japan?
You can maintain Permanent Residence overseas.

Just get a Multiple Re-Entry Visa from the Immigration Office.
You do not want to lose you PR if you only use the Special Re-Entry Permit Tick Box on the Departure Card, and the year expires, and so will your PR..
you will need to come back to Japan at least once in 5 years to renew your Mu;ltiple Re-Entry Permit and Zairyu Card, or they will both expire and so will your PR...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.