Nenkin application supporting documents

Crios
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Nenkin application supporting documents

Post by Crios »

I just tried to submit my application for nenkin. I had all the docs listed by the office, and they were accepted, I think.

They want one more, though. I am a US citizen retiring here in Japan. They want a US government document, equivalent to a koseki tohon (being listed in detail in my husband's was not enough). They need my birthday and name and current citizenship on it. My passport wasn,' good enough, either.

Does anyone have any idea what that document might be?

Thanks
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Nenkin application supporting documents

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi Crios

Welcome to the forum!

Shame the pension office wasn't able to specify what document they want. Assuming this is a normal request (and not some clerk making things up) your embassy should know what is needed. Presumably they deal with this all the time.

You may be able to claim SS/combine with nenkin: https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... agreement/

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Crios

Post by Crios »

I spent the morning on the phone. First, SSA at the US embassy couldn't help, but told me to talk to the Nihon Nenkin Kikou (日本年金機構) international division. They can get a translator on the phone to help, if you need it. They couldn't do anything because they are only a call center, but they told me the Nenkin Jimusho offices (年金事務所) function pretty independently, so I should call the Shibuya office directly. We'd gone there because we thought they would be used to foreigners' applications. They called me back after checking a few things and told me I needed my US birth certificate (出生証明書) and 結婚証明婚姻届しゅうりしょめい), sorry I don't know the characters for the last doc, but it shows I was actually married in Japan. Both must have been issued within the last 6 months.

After that I called the Fuchu office, which is the office for Tama-shi, where I actually live. They said the docs I already have are enough (I just asked what is necessary, I didn't go through the whole story). I go to the Fuchu office on Monday to try it again, so cross your fingers for me. I'll post the result.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I suspected it might be something like this. Officials in Japan (particularly less experienced ones) can sometimes make up rules, demanding things that don't exist and that turn out not to be necessary after all.

Hope it all goes smoothly from now on!

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Crios

Post by Crios »

Hello, again.

I went to the Fuchu nenkin office. They saw online that I'd been to the Shibuya office, and saw that that office had finally told me the names of the 2 docs they wanted. So I told the nice man that the Fuchu office had told me I only needed what was on the official list. He went and checked, and said I only need the marriage certificate (日本の結婚届受理証明書).

He took all the other documents and gave me an envelope for the last doc so I can send it directly to him. He also gave me an estimate of how much I'll be receiving, so I think all is well.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Great to hear :)

Glad it all worked out in the end.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)