Kirakira names getting banned?

zeroshiki
Veteran

Kirakira names getting banned?

Post by zeroshiki »

Not sure what everyone's opinions are regarding kirakira names (My opinion is that if its just a funky reading, thats fine but if its something dumb like naming your kid pikachu then that crosses a line).

Seems like the Japanese government are considering updating the koseki law (I think?) to add yomigana (its never had it) and with it, they want to add "common sense" as a test in the yomigana you can put on your kid's name. People are interpreting this as a way to ban kirakira names (or at least curb them).

The examples are kinda funny, like 太郎 being read as Michael would be banned but 騎士 being read as Naito would be ok. Question to the members with kids here, how did you name your kids?
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Kirakira names getting banned?

Post by sutebayashi »

My spouse is not a kirakira name fan so the kids got names that I thought are easy to pronounce in English and she fancied from a Kanji perspective.

One example of kirakira names I saw that would be banned in the news today would be naming the kid 高 but with the pronunciation of ヒクシ, e.g. “low” being opposite of the kanji meaning.

I guess I would not be a fan of kirakira names either. It reminds me of how Koreans and Chinese people give themselves arbitrary English names. If you are going to call yourself a certain way, the writing of it should be aligned, … unless you don’t care about people finding the name confusing :) I guess i am conservative.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Well, its non of my business if they want to choose a name, the parents like. Although I'm not sure how we are going to define a flashy name, especially if they have a foreign name. My kids have British names, but we slammed in some Japanese kanji. Now by all intents and purpose, these names are basically nothing like a Japanese name, and I've come across new Japanese names which are really nice, but nothing to jump up and down about.However, who is to decide if one name is KIRAKIRA, and one isn't? It's bit like a Japanese person telling a Mexican/Spaniard how to spell their name HOSE instead of JOSE. I have to admit some American/African/ names really turn my head, because it's unusual for me, but that's up to them. So long as it's not something Satan, Adolf Hitler, voldermort, or Led Zeppelin. I suppose, as Japan gets more immigrants, it just might have to get use to these new sounding names. but maybe this is more about choosing inappropriate kanji for a name.I wonder if these 亜守 and 久怜 would be classed as Kira Kira? But frankly, its non of the governments business, as the Japanese have to spend years of their life explaining their kanji to everyone on the end of the phone. Luckily my wife has no kanji. Just hiragana. :D
My kids were named after whiskey reflecting my home country and one was named because the wife liked it, but I didn't like it because it can also be a girls name in the UK ( which can lead to bullying) but we found the shortened boys version which was perfect.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I read a blog (or was it twitter thread) of this guy who had a really awful kirakira name that he considered a burden on his life and his quest to get rid of it. All the bullying he had to endure just because of his name affected him all the way until he grew up to the point that he refused to get married until he changed his name.
In Japan, those kirakira names are the equivalent of calling your children Voldemort or Daenerys. They're just so far out of the ordinary and especially for a country where conformity is valued that even just from birth the kid will have a rough time growing up.