Need advice about Emaxis slim Tsumitate NISA.

Block
Regular

Need advice about Emaxis slim Tsumitate NISA.

Post by Block »

Hello,

I'm interested in the Emaxis slim Tsumitate NISA.

https://emaxis.jp/lp/slim/pr1/

It seems there are two services.

eMAXIS Slim Balance (8-asset equal type)

eMAXIS Slim Global Equity (All Countries) / (excluding Japan) / (3-region equal type)

The 8-asset equal type sounds most interesting to me but has anybody used these or can advice me about which one to choose?

Also, how does this compare to other companies' nisa services?

Thank you.
Business English teacher.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Need advice about Emaxis slim Tsumitate NISA.

Post by zeroshiki »

Why is the 8-balance good for you? From where I'm sitting, it overweights certain sectors. The no-thinking approach that is favored by most passive investors in this forum is to just go all country (or S&P if you love America) and just wait it out. The balance is deceptive because it makes it sound like it's, well balanced, but for example it has 37.5% bond exposure which is waaay more than even the most conservative recommendations would give. It also overweights developing economies and is overall just an odd mix.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Block wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 am Hello,

I'm interested in the Emaxis slim Tsumitate NISA.

https://emaxis.jp/lp/slim/pr1/

It seems there are two services.

eMAXIS Slim Balance (8-asset equal type)

eMAXIS Slim Global Equity (All Countries) / (excluding Japan) / (3-region equal type)

The 8-asset equal type sounds most interesting to me but has anybody used these or can advice me about which one to choose?

Also, how does this compare to other companies' nisa services?

Thank you.
Emaxis slim is a mutual fund range created by MUFG. You can buy it through most brokers. It is not a tsumitate NISA account though.

You would need to open an account with a broker to use tsumitate NISA, and would then buy mutual funds within the account.

I agree that the 8-way balance fund doesn't make much sense to me. It seems like they just did the asset allocation so that it would make a pretty graph, not for investment purposes.

I use the all-country fund (in NISA) and the developed country bond fund (in a taxable account) for my portfolio.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

There are 13 'Slim' funds. As others have said, some are better than others.
I suggest keep reading on this forum and the main RJ site as there is a lot of information here.

Your attitude to risk is important. Some of the forum members are a long way from retirement so have a very simple strategy of using one equity fund.
This especially makes sense in the tax-free/tax-advantaged accounts, NISA and iDeCo.
Others also buy a bond fund. for balance. Often this will be in a taxable, tokutei account rather than in NISA.

One advantage of the Slim series is low costs. That is why this series is popular.
I experiment a little and have the All Country fund, the S&P fund, and the developed markets bond fund in my portfolio.
(But this is not advice. Most times, simple is best)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Block
Regular

Post by Block »

Thanks everybody for the great replies. I'm glad that I found this forum.

I'll keep reading for now.
Business English teacher.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

This blog post describes the 13 eMaxis Slim funds: https://typeshare.co/retirejapan/posts/ ... qvgVGPzPuw
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I don’t own the 8-way balanced fund and won’t, but I don’t think it is as terrible as it looks, actually.

I plugged in the allocations at myindex and it says the average annual return was 7.4%, risk of 11.9%, and sharp ratio of 0.63.

Their 4-way balanced fund returns less than 6%, with risk also lower.

It’s interesting, but even fugly looking asset allocations like these would have well beaten cash, which is probably the benchmark for a lot of people in Japan.