Travel Insurance for seniors visiting Japan

goran
Veteran

Travel Insurance for seniors visiting Japan

Post by goran »

My mother (64 yrs) and my father (73 yrs) are visiting me from mid March to early April. I am trying to look for some insurance plan to cover their trip. They will be staying here for about 50 days.

I tried to check few insurance companies, but looks most do not cater to visitors above 60 years old.
Does anyone know of any insurance company that could cover my parents trip?
northSaver
Veteran

Re: Travel Insurance for seniors visiting Japan

Post by northSaver »

One company I considered for my Mum in her 80s was Staysure UK. They quoted £316 for a 3 week trip, comprehensive cover. The basic cover was £221. They do longer trips too, and seem to have a good reputation. She didn't come in the end so I didn't use them.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

northSaver wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:14 am One company I considered for my Mum in her 80s was Staysure UK. They quoted £316 for a 3 week trip, comprehensive cover. The basic cover was £221. They do longer trips too, and seem to have a good reputation. She didn't come in the end so I didn't use them.
I will check their website.
But do you think the nationality of the insured person matter?
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Not sure about nationality, but residence definitely matters. On the first page of their quote screen, some of the conditions are:
  • Residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least six months within the last 12 month period.
  • Registered with a medical practitioner in your home country - which should be either the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
  • Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
If they don't live in the UK you'll have to try to find a local company, sorry.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

northSaver wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:07 am Not sure about nationality, but residence definitely matters. On the first page of their quote screen, some of the conditions are:
  • Residents of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for at least six months within the last 12 month period.
  • Registered with a medical practitioner in your home country - which should be either the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
  • Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
If they don't live in the UK you'll have to try to find a local company, sorry.
Oh. Anyways thank you for replying.
I will look for other alternatives.

Unfortunately, there are no realistic travel insurance products in their country if residence. I will try to find some in Japan.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

I'm on a trip right now, japan to the US. I decided to skip insurance this time. I'm a japan resident, but now over 70, and some policies I looked at topped out at 65.

Also, I have what are arguably a pre-existing condition or two, which, when you look at the fine print, they exclude from coverage if you happen to have any further developments/complications of those on your trip. (and this trip is only a week, so fingers crossed!)

Good luck, I'd like to think I'll be traveling some in the coming few years, probably for longer than this time, and I'm not sure what I'll do then (nor how I'll sell what I may decide to do to my wife!).
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

captainspoke wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:04 am I'm on a trip right now, japan to the US. I decided to skip insurance this time. I'm a japan resident, but now over 70, and some policies I looked at topped out at 65.

Also, I have what are arguably a pre-existing condition or two, which, when you look at the fine print, they exclude from coverage if you happen to have any further developments/complications of those on your trip. (and this trip is only a week, so fingers crossed!)

Good luck, I'd like to think I'll be traveling some in the coming few years, probably for longer than this time, and I'm not sure what I'll do then (nor how I'll sell what I may decide to do to my wife!).
As someone who has had to deal with the American Healthcare system I recommend strongly against doing this. Insurance is quite affordable when traveling abroad from Japan.

Perhaps it is less risky if traveling to other developed countries, but not the US. I cannot fathom taking the risk.
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

I found this for a visitor who is staying more than 30 days, Tokyo Marine is a good company.
https://tokiomarinenichido.jp/japan/blog/over1month/

Also with buying travelers insurance for older people living in Japan and traveling overseas, I have found that you can't buy it on-line, but if you go to a broker, (for example in the passport place in Yurakucho), they will sell you insurance with no problems asked.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Nancy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:47 am I found this for a visitor who is staying more than 30 days, Tokyo Marine is a good company.
https://tokiomarinenichido.jp/japan/blog/over1month/

Also with buying travelers insurance for older people living in Japan and traveling overseas, I have found that you can't buy it on-line, but if you go to a broker, (for example in the passport place in Yurakucho), they will sell you insurance with no problems asked.
I ended up using Tokiomarinenichido. Exactly the one that you linked here.

And for anyone else coming in for less than 32 days, you can use Omotenashi insurance from them. Apparently, there is no age limit on it.