Calling the UK state pension in 2023

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Calling the UK state pension in 2023

Post by RetireJapan »

Hoo boy. That was fun.

First I called the The International Pension Centre: +44 (0) 191 218 7777. After 15 minutes I got through to someone who told me they can only see pension records for people who are within six months of pension age. Instead, I needed to call the Future Pension Centre on +44 191 218 3600.

The voice menu is very aggressive, telling you to stop calling multiple times. It's pretty grim. The system hung up on me several times!

Seems that the website, and the phone lines are all screwed up. The recorded message said they will 'consider' accepting voluntary payments after the April 6th deadline anyway, as it is almost impossible to talk to them.

In the end I went through the entire phone tree, and every option just hangs up on you.

Well, played, HMRC, well played. This is how you get people to give up and go away :roll:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Calling the UK state pension in 2023

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

I found this HMRC number very helpful

+44 161 931 9070

The guy was very apologetic and now all my class 3 voluntary contributions are up to date.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:35 am I found this HMRC number very helpful

+44 161 931 9070

The guy was very apologetic and now all my class 3 voluntary contributions are up to date.
Oooh! Will try that one today. Thanks!

I'm calling them because I have two incomplete years from when they stopped taking my direct debit without telling me, and because one of my years on the online record claims to have 74 weeks of voluntary contributions :lol:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:39 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:35 am I found this HMRC number very helpful

+44 161 931 9070

Oooh! Will try that one today. Thanks!

I'm calling them because I have two incomplete years from when they stopped taking my direct debit without telling me, and because one of my years on the online record claims to have 74 weeks of voluntary contributions :lol:
There is a very small chance this could be HMRC telephone number for how to register your rental income for an expat. Apologies, if it is.

At least you got your direct debit up and running. I have tried numerous times and failed; I still pay annually by cheque.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:39 am I'm calling them because I have two incomplete years from when they stopped taking my direct debit without telling me
I have pretty much the exact same issue, but only the one incomplete year...
I'm half tempted to just give up on that year as I'm too afraid HMRC will faff everything up, cancel my direct debit, tell me that on closer inspection they made a mistake and I should be paying Class 3 :lol:
At this point in time, everything is running too smoothly to risk putting a spanner in the works...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:50 am Hoo boy. That was fun.

First I called the The International Pension Centre: +44 (0) 191 218 7777. After 15 minutes I got through to someone who told me they can only see pension records for people who are within six months of pension age. Instead, I needed to call the Future Pension Centre on +44 191 218 3600.

The voice menu is very aggressive, telling you to stop calling multiple times. It's pretty grim. The system hung up on me several times!

Seems that the website, and the phone lines are all screwed up. The recorded message said they will 'consider' accepting voluntary payments after the April 6th deadline anyway, as it is almost impossible to talk to them.

In the end I went through the entire phone tree, and every option just hangs up on you.

Well, played, HMRC, well played. This is how you get people to give up and go away :roll:
Seems HMRC have recognised how painful it is and have extended the payment deadline. Doesn't necessarily help those already in the system like you who just want to have something (in many cases, an error!) dealt with, without playing telephone tennis between departments.

MoneySavingExpert conducted a survey, the results of which show just how bad the phone service is/has been:
Our survey, which received 4,300-plus responses from people who'd called the helplines this year, found that:

62% of those who contacted the Future Pension Centre were cut off.
54% had to call the Future Pension Centre more than five times.
31% said that the line cut off when they called HMRC.

One reader commented: "I have tried constantly for two days using redial; must have phoned literally hundreds of times only to get a few rings and then the engaged tone... There appears to be no queueing system or any other way to contact them."

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... nded-july/
The saving grace to all this is that there will be beneficiaries from this ineptitude via the extension of the deadline, probably including several forum members. Doesn't help in your case though!

Also not relevant in your case, but relevant for many other forum members, I wonder if the system were a well-oiled machine whether voluntary Class 2 NICs from abroad would still exist or indeed would have even arisen in the first place.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

kuma wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 am Also not relevant in your case, but relevant for many other forum members, I wonder if the system were a well-oiled machine whether voluntary Class 2 NICs from abroad would still exist or indeed would have even arisen in the first place.
Doubt it. Here's one of the earlier threads about that. viewtopic.php?t=1570
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

adamu wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:45 am
kuma wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 am Also not relevant in your case, but relevant for many other forum members, I wonder if the system were a well-oiled machine whether voluntary Class 2 NICs from abroad would still exist or indeed would have even arisen in the first place.
Doubt it. Here's one of the earlier threads about that. viewtopic.php?t=1570
Indeed. Here's another post on the subject: viewtopic.php?p=27331#p27331
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks to this forum have backpaid all pension payments *class 3 unfortunately!
however,i am trying to pay this years one .. i believe it is 824.20pounds(is that correct)
have tried contacting but seems impossible to get thru...

seems can pay online but you need the 18dig number starting with 60... i have the previous one used for backpayments can i just use this?
or is a new number needed??

sorry to bother but impossible to get thru on phone..any help appreciated
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

bryanc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:08 am seems can pay online but you need the 18dig number starting with 60... i have the previous one used for backpayments can i just use this?
or is a new number needed??
No, for residents abroad you use your NI number and name. See the wiki:

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... g_payments

Edit: Ah, sorry, there is a new option to pay via online banking that I was not aware of. Indeed, it looks like they have not considered residents abroad for this option, as we don't get the 18-digit reference number as far as I know. I've "reported a problem" with that page, but doubt it'll help...

I recommend you do bank transfer using the instructions on the wiki.