Calling the UK state pension in 2023

bryanc
Veteran

Re: Calling the UK state pension in 2023

Post by bryanc »

thanks -but that was my question.. i have an 18digit number as i paid recently for the 16yrs back payments. wondered if it was the same or changes...can i just use it to pay this time?
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

bryanc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:24 am thanks -but that was my question.. i have an 18digit number as i paid recently for the 16yrs back payments. wondered if it was the same or changes...can i just use it to pay this time?
bryanc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:24 am thanks -but that was my question.. i have an 18digit number as i paid recently for the 16yrs back payments. wondered if it was the same or changes...can i just use it to pay this time?
Huge congrats on the success with backpaying 16yrs.

Horror stories of attempts to obtain an 18-digit number (or gain other information) here: https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerf ... 155d975688

(That chat is inconclusive as to whether an 18-digit reference number from a previous year can be used.)

BUT…

as Adamu says, the method detailed on the wiki (manual online bank transfer for overseas residents) DOES NOT use the 18-digit reference number, and instead uses a reference made up of your surname and NINO (and goes to an HMRC account specifically for overseas contributors).

The info in the below link has separate HMRC accounts for (1) payments from UK (18-dig ref no required, (2) payments from overseas (reference uses NINO + name: https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class- ... s-payments).

As Adamu says, I suspect some of the payment info published by HMRC is geared up for UK residents, and there should be clearer info, more watertight language, and more frequent links and signposts to the info for overseas payers.

I’d steer clear of the 18-dig reference.

Re paying ‘this year’… which payment option did you select when you applied to make voluntary contributions? If ‘annual payment in arrears’, then since it is in arrears, shortly (well, all bets off this time!) after the end of the tax year, ordinarily a payment request is sent.
Mr Tardy

Post by Mr Tardy »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:35 am I found this HMRC number very helpful

+44 161 931 9070

The guy was very apologetic and now all my class 3 voluntary contributions are up to date.
I’m back in the UK at the moment, and have had no luck with the 0300 number - but this number above was great! Cheers Wales4rugbyWC19!!

Less than 15 minutes to get someone on the line. When I mentioned I was actually applying from abroad, they said it wasn’t the right number, and transferred me. Less than a minute later I was talking to the right people, and confirmed receipt of my CF83. The 0300 number had 3 hours online for zero results…

Other info:

They confirmed that applications received before the deadline will be honoured, and that payment delay will not have any effect.

They’re currently going through the October applications - so probably still quite a wait for a lot of us.

Hope that helps
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks-i applied to pay by automatic bank transfer ,but nothing has happened.. maybe i should just try with the old NI number and name as per the link you kindly sent..thanks for that.. i do have this long 16/18 dig code no so wondering if should use that.
Block
Regular

Post by Block »

I called +44 161 931 9070, to inquire about my CF83 I sent in December, and got through after about 30 mins.

I also used this service for cheaper international calls (if you try it enter the number, that you want to call, manually don't copy and paste it.).

https://app.mytello.com/en/

They transferred me to national insurance very quickly. They confirmed they received my CF83 and that because they received it already I wont be effected by the April deadline.

Got this number for national insurance +441912037010
Business English teacher.
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

I also used this number, they were very helpful. They said they had a huge rush of applications, and also said that if you send it registered, I was told they can't "scan in into the system", so I should allow for about 30 days from posting for them to "see it in the system". They suggested to be safe that I email the application to someone in the UK who can print it off and send by regular post. Their system can cope faster with proof of receipt if you do this. She did confirm that any application received and "in the system" by 31 July would be accepted and (eventually) processed. Then they give you something like 8 weeks to pay. She also said this could be extended for example if you appeal their decision that you should pay Class 3.

Welcome to the 21st century, sir.

Interestingly, though she said her department didn't deal with cases of "Class 3 or Class 2" decisions for backdated years you want to make up when you lived here in Japan, she said it basically hinged on you being employed here in those years. I thought it hinged more on your employment status in the UK immediately before coming here. I also asked if I should obtain proof of employment in Japan, but she said proof you were employed here in Japan is not usually asked for. Personally I'm crossing my fingers that whoever eventually evaluated my case does it like she said.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

jane doe wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:55 am I also used this number, they were very helpful. They said they had a huge rush of applications, and also said that if you send it registered, I was told they can't "scan in into the system", so I should allow for about 30 days from posting for them to "see it in the system". They suggested to be safe that I email the application to someone in the UK who can print it off and send by regular post. Their system can cope faster with proof of receipt if you do this. She did confirm that any application received and "in the system" by 31 July would be accepted and (eventually) processed. Then they give you something like 8 weeks to pay. She also said this could be extended for example if you appeal their decision that you should pay Class 3.

Welcome to the 21st century, sir.

Interestingly, though she said her department didn't deal with cases of "Class 3 or Class 2" decisions for backdated years you want to make up when you lived here in Japan, she said it basically hinged on you being employed here in those years. I thought it hinged more on your employment status in the UK immediately before coming here. I also asked if I should obtain proof of employment in Japan, but she said proof you were employed here in Japan is not usually asked for. Personally I'm crossing my fingers that whoever eventually evaluated my case does it like she said.
Great update; useful for others who are waiting for news having applied, or thinking of applying now.

The wiki now includes the phone number mentioned on this thread, as several people have reported it being useful:
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... ed_actions
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

So here’s the August update. I rang the International Pension Centre to check if they have received my application which I sent registered post. And ... they say they have not received it. It was not returned to me either, so what has happened is a mystery.
The only silver lining is that the deadline for back payment has been extended to 2025, so I haven't been locked out. I am just back to square one.

If you are trying to do the same as me, they say to get someone to post it from the UK, regular post. Though you could send it registered post, in my case it seems to have made the situation worse not better, so a waste of money and a false sense of security. So either send it to a relative or friend for forwarding, or email your contact your application and ask them to print it out and post it.

The International Pension Centre also say that they have got a bit on top of the backlog of applications and the average processing time is currently 46 weeks :lol: . So don't hold your breath.
But from my experience, definitely follow up with a phone call and find out if they have "scanned in" (their expression) your application to "the system".
I'm interested to know other people's experiences.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

jane doe wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:41 amregistered post
Since it's registered, what does the delivery record say? Although to be honest since it'll be Royal Mail delivering it, even a "delivered" status wouldn't leave me with much confidence. Plus they could have lost it internally. Personally I've used recorded delivery to send them mail with no problem (and no acknowledgement or communication from them either, but I know they got it because of the delivery record, and the changes were applied by the time the next statement came around).
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

I checked the EMS online tracking. It showed as delivered. But on the phone I was told "we know nuffink"