Reporting overseas dividends

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Reporting overseas dividends

Post by RetireJapan »

What date to use for the exchange rate when reporting foreign dividends?

Report date? Ex- date? Date the money arrives in your account?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Reporting overseas dividends

Post by captainspoke »

Is this related to the 'How to invest an inheritance' thread?

It's easy. Pay date--the date you received the dividend (since you haven't received the dividend before this date ;)). As posted here multiple times in the past, use this site (as recommended by the tax office) to find the TTM rate for the date(s) concerned.

Sorry, but it amazes me that people can navigate things like getting a credit card here, a driver's license, figure out NISA and IDECO, full and half-width katakana and when to use one or the other, maybe how to claim medical expenses for a given tax year, get a spouse visa or even PR, etc., etc., but then freeze like a deer in the the headlights or poo-poo 'those poor americans' when imagining all that extra tax reporting :lol: involved in doing one's taxes. (someone may just be thinking the grapes are sour?)

I'm trying to think of something with an equivalent level of difficulty (and those things just mentioned are harder). E.g, have you figured out all the fields on your pay stubs (給与明細) or your 源泉徴収票? That's about the amount of attention/effort required to report foreign dividends.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Question I got, and I have no experience with it. Thanks for the links.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Last edited by Tkydon on Sun May 07, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tkydon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:13 am SNIP
I don't think any of that answered the question. Please don't cut and past huge chunks of text like that, it is not helpful.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

If it's a tokutei kouza, it handles it for you. Then you can claim the foreign dividend deduction for the accumulated total over the year using the annual statement (and XML file) that is generated. This is a tricky process that has no good English guide, as far as I know. But I'm thinking of writing one.

No idea about dividends outside of a tokutei kouza.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Last edited by Tkydon on Sun May 07, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

captainspoke wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:27 am...
... Pay date--the date you received the dividend (since you haven't received the dividend before this date ;)). As posted here multiple times in the past, use this site (as recommended by the tax office) to find the TTM rate for the date(s) concerned.
One further bit about using that site for TTM: Due to holidays here (which may not be holidays wherever the foreign dividends are being paid), that site will return a message like "no info available for that date".

In that case, the official way to do it is to start backing up a day at a time until it produces a result. Sometimes that will just be a single day, other times it might be several days or more. The goal is to get a TTM rate for the closest previously available date (even if the day after would logically seem 'closer').

Eg, golden week days off here might be monday, tuesday, and wednesday. If your dividend is paid on that wednesday, you'll need to back up to the friday before (and if that friday is 4/29, then even another day back). A similar thing happens for january 1, 2, and 3 -- holidays here, but if you get a dividend paid on the 3rd, you may have to back up to 12/29 if the 30th and 31st are weekend days.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tkydon wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:42 pm I'm sorry, but I spent a long time typing it up word by word, so that you would remember the fine points. The only things I copied and pasted were the URLs.

As Captainspoke, said,

http://www.murc-kawasesouba.jp/fx/past_3month.php
The question was 'what date should be used?'. That is all.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:10 am
Tkydon wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:42 pm I'm sorry, but I spent a long time typing it up word by word, so that you would remember the fine points. The only things I copied and pasted were the URLs.

As Captainspoke, said,

http://www.murc-kawasesouba.jp/fx/past_3month.php
The question was 'what date should be used?'. That is all.
Foreign dividends. So received in say USD and converted by the person? Or automatically converted by the exchanges?