Bicycle Accident

northSaver
Veteran

Re: Bicycle Accident

Post by northSaver »

A new law came into effect on Saturday (01-Apr-2023) stating that cyclists must wear a helmet at all times. But, in typical Japanese fashion, there is no penalty for breaking it! A bit like the "don't ride on the pavement (sidewalk)" law then. Actually you can be penalised for riding on the pavement, but it is rarely enforced.

Personally I always wear a helmet when cycling for exercise and recreation (and ride on the road of course)... less so when I cycle to the shops. I guess it's the hassle of dealing with the helmet when I'm in the shop (leave it on maybe?), and helmet hair / sweaty head in summer. So I can see why shoppers are against it, even though it makes a lot of sense to protect your precious head at all times :)
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

This law is only a “努力義務” law, so is effectively ignorable. There was a segment on a news show a day or two back about how helmet stocks are currently really low, so even if you want to buy one, there is a shortage. If I get pulled over by the police (again… last time was a decade ago I guess), that’s my excuse - I did do 努力 but no helmets were available because it was made mandatory and therefore there is a shortage. Perfectly reasonable I think.

I am intending to get a helmet though (see!?), since (seriously now) my kid has previously asked me why I am not wearing one. I used to wear one as a kid back in the motherland (and a kid on my soccer team was left into a human vegetable state as a result of a car vs bike accident…) so it is not unnatural for me.

Soon I shall be bald too, so that bike hair issue shan’t be a an issue for much longer.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

The "possibility" of not wearing a helmet invalidating your bicycle insurance is what is pushing me to buy one. That and setting a good example for the kids etc...sigh
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:46 pm The "possibility" of not wearing a helmet invalidating your bicycle insurance is what is pushing me to buy one. That and setting a good example for the kids etc...sigh
I've been wearing a helmet for riding the whole time I've been in Japan. This being Japan, I just leave the helmet on the bike when I park it -so far so good. No real downside IMO :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

In a (huge) crash maybe eight years ago now, having a helmet on saved me from death, or being a vegetable.

Drop a melon straight down from even 1.5m and see what happens.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

northSaver wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:58 am A new law came into effect on Saturday (01-Apr-2023) stating that cyclists must wear a helmet at all times. But, in typical Japanese fashion, there is no penalty for breaking it! A bit like the "don't ride on the pavement (sidewalk)" law then. Actually you can be penalised for riding on the pavement, but it is rarely enforced.
I took an hour long walk this afternoon and counted bicyclists wearing helmets for fun. Only one out of 47 was wearing a helmet- and the one that was wearing a helmet had an expensive looking street bike and pro gear from head to toe. Incidentally, I also walked by the bike shop near my house and there were plenty of helmets available.

So much for the myth of Japanese blindly following rules.

Maybe if the government could send out a free styrofoam helmet to each family “Abenomask” style or, even better, a helmet mask combo, we might be in business. :D
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/50562 ... fe50532f04

Personal my helmet is in the mail. I should have bought it with the bike. I wore one back home, it should be the norm, I think I just felt strange wearing one here initially.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

So our insurance company are still dealing with this individual; the "Claimer"
To date about 600,000 Yen has been paid on his medical expenses.
As of last week he has demanded a cash payout of 700,000 Yen, our insurance company has declined this, and he has now hired a lawyer...
I guess we will see where this goes...
We are very thankful we are covered by insurance, and we do not need to deal with this guy ourselves...
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

concerned wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 am So our insurance company are still dealing with this individual; the "Claimer"
To date about 600,000 Yen has been paid on his medical expenses.
As of last week he has demanded a cash payout of 700,000 Yen, our insurance company has declined this, and he has now hired a lawyer...
I guess we will see where this goes...
We are very thankful we are covered by insurance, and we do not need to deal with this guy ourselves...
My son is finally going to get his payout from an accident that happened over 2yrs ago (K truck turned left and son had right-of way). He thinks it might be a few million, but who knows.