PR - Successful Application!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

PR - Successful Application!

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Spousal -> PR. August 2022-March 2023. Shinagawa Immigration
Important info: > In February I received a request for additional info. When this happens many months into your application it is typically a GOOD sign. It means a decision is very close at hand.

They want proof of pension payments. The screenshot from Nenkin.net as instructed on the Immigration website was NOT considered adequate.

The document is 年金記録に係る「被保険者記戀会臼答票」 及び 「被保険者記録照会(納付Ⅰ及び納付ⅡI)」 中原人のみ (※ 管轄の年金事務所で入手出来ます。 詳しくは年金事務所にお尋ねください。)

The document they want is ONLY available at the Nenkin office, nowhere else. You must go in person with a mynumber card (or possibly your blue book. I had both, but they did not want the blue book.)

This document has two sections and is offered free of charge. A: A line by line summary of pension payments within a requested period. B: A quick glance, 1 page summary. Where every payment month is represented by a symbol.

Document B makes it very clear if you have missed a payment, were a dependent, etc etc. It also makes it clear if you PREPAID or PAID MONTHLY. So I suggest PREPAYING if financially possible

*You may have a different experience in the inaka, applying via points, or even 8 months from now so always check for updates on the Japanese website, not the English one. Also, check in Japanese, the Judicial scrivener and lawyers give very useful updates!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: PR - Successful Application!

Post by Beaglehound »

Congratulations sir.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Beaglehound wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:22 pm Congratulations sir.
Thank you. It is more a marathon than a sprint. The beurucrarcy is rather staggering and the system in constant flux.

I encourage everyone who currently has spousal status to do it. Sooner rather than later.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:50 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:22 pm Congratulations sir.
Thank you. It is more a marathon than a sprint. The beurucrarcy is rather staggering and the system in constant flux.

I encourage everyone who currently has spousal status to do it. Sooner rather than later.
Yeah, I did it through spousal route a couple of years ago and had a very similar experience to you. A request for a few additional documents about three months after applying, followed by acceptance a couple of weeks after.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Congrats!

Now you can change status without effect to your visa... ;-)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Congratulations!
Now you are a lifer...?
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
OwenM
Regular

Post by OwenM »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:03 pm
This document has two sections and is offered free of charge. A: A line by line summary of pension payments within a requested period. B: A quick glance, 1 page summary. Where every payment month is represented by a symbol.

Document B makes it very clear if you have missed a payment, were a dependent, etc etc. It also makes it clear if you PREPAID or PAID MONTHLY. So I suggest PREPAYING if financially possible
What was the period requested? 2,5 years, everything? At the beginning of an application myself
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Tkydon wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:22 pm Congrats!

Now you can change status without effect to your visa... ;-)
Lol. In truth my wife was paranoid about what would happen to the kids if something happened to her. I agree and think getting PR should be a focus for all spousal candidates.

Let me also mention the nightmare divorce situations we've all heard about....
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

beanhead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:58 pm Congratulations!
Now you are a lifer...?
Probably. But that wasn't the motivation. All expats from developed countries seem to get price out of returning anyways due too low inflation, wage and property growth in Japan.....and the opposite back home.

1-2 億 seem like a moonshot in retirement for many in Japan. And seems like a minimum back home. (Not including housing).

But Thailand? Hmmmm even Portugal.... No, probably not. I like the food and trains here too much. Well just take more vacations.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

OwenM wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:20 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:03 pm

What was the period requested? 2,5 years, everything? At the beginning of an application myself
They asked for 4 years the second time. I think the Japanese form says 3.

Don't use the English page. Don't rely on info more than a year or so old

Form 2 looks like this.

. . 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
令1. S S. S P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P.
令2. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P
令3. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P
令4. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P. P

S would be paid monthly and P would be prepaid for the whole year.

So prepayment makes you look much more organized, financial stable, etc.

Make sure your prepay for the year of your application and the subsequent year if the application carries over.

(Purely anecdotal)