PR - Successful Application!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: PR - Successful Application!

Post by RetireJapan »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:56 am A further question/point about special re-entry permits:

Answers above advise getting a multiple entry special re-entry permit. But surely that would only be useful if you travel out of Japan a lot.

Surely if you only travel out of Japan once every 3-4 years, it would be much better to get a single entry special re-entry permit each time you travel so you have up to five years to return to Japan should something untoward happen.

If you have a multiple entry one and you leave Japan with only 1-2 years left on it, you don’t get the full “insurance” of the 5 years.

So what you “save” in only needing to go to immigration every 4-5 years to get a multiple re-entry permit, I think you “lose” on not having the full five years each time you leave Japan. So I reckon it’s better to get a single-entry each time instead.

Does that make sense?
Don't think so, as you have to go to immigration and pay 3,000 yen each time you leave Japan. Compared to going to immigration and paying 6,000 yen for five years worth.

Depends on your travel patterns I guess!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:32 am
Gareth wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:56 am A further question/point about special re-entry permits:

Answers above advise getting a multiple entry special re-entry permit. But surely that would only be useful if you travel out of Japan a lot.

Surely if you only travel out of Japan once every 3-4 years, it would be much better to get a single entry special re-entry permit each time you travel so you have up to five years to return to Japan should something untoward happen.

If you have a multiple entry one and you leave Japan with only 1-2 years left on it, you don’t get the full “insurance” of the 5 years.

So what you “save” in only needing to go to immigration every 4-5 years to get a multiple re-entry permit, I think you “lose” on not having the full five years each time you leave Japan. So I reckon it’s better to get a single-entry each time instead.

Does that make sense?
Don't think so, as you have to go to immigration and pay 3,000 yen each time you leave Japan. Compared to going to immigration and paying 6,000 yen for five years worth.

Depends on your travel patterns I guess!
Not "multiple entry special re-entry permit"

Special Re-Entry Permit - Valid for Single Trip for Less than 1 year - tick the box on the Departure Card - Free Of Charge -
Not extendable outside Japan. You miss the 1 year deadline to return, and your Visa, Permit to Remain, PR, Juminhyo, Zairyu Card ALL invalidated / terminated / forfeit...
Many people got caught out by this during the COVID Sakkoku Lockdown...

Single Re-Entry Permit - Valid for Single Trip for Less than 5 years - Apply at Immigration - Cost Y3,000
Multiple Re-Entry Permit - Valid for as many trips as you can fit in in 5 years - Apply at Immigration - Cost Y6,000
Both are extendable outside Japan under extenuating circumstances, one year at a time up to a maximum of 4 years, limited by your Permission to Remain. If you let the Re-Entry Permit expire, your Visa, Permit to Remain, PR, Juminhyo, Zairyu Card are still ALL invalidated / terminated / forfeit...

I would recommend you get the Multiple Re-Entry Permit.!!!

Up to you to do the cost-benefit analysis...
Last edited by Tkydon on Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Yes, I mixed up special re-entry permits and re-entry permits. I meant re-entry permit so I have edited my post above.
Tkydon wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:43 am Get the Multiple Re-Entry Permit.!!!
I don’t think you should blindly assert this.

Did you understand my point above about situations where it could be better to get a single entry (the 3000 yen one)?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am Yes, I mixed up special re-entry permits and re-entry permits. I meant re-entry permit so I have edited my post above.

Did you understand my point above about situations where it could be better to get a single entry (the 3000 yen one)?
Up to you to do the cost-benefit analysis...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am Yes, I mixed up special re-entry permits and re-entry permits. I meant re-entry permit so I have edited my post above.

I see your point and think it would make sense in the scenario you bring up of only travelling outside Japan every 3/4 years.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

¥6000 is so cheap once every 5 years that you might as well get it. You never know if you'll need to make an emergency trip abroad, and not come back for a while. It's not likely, but it's much cheaper than anything you'd pay to insure against such an event.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Whilst on the topic of reentry permits and timing considerations, in the past I asked Immigration: can you apply for a new reentry permit if you still have validity on an existing one?

Answer: there are no restrictions on reapplying for a new reentry permit before it expires. There is also no limit for how often you can apply so you can do whenever is convenient for you.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

kuma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:07 pm Whilst on the topic of reentry permits and timing considerations, in the past I asked Immigration: can you apply for a new reentry permit if you still have validity on an existing one?

Answer: there are no restrictions on reapplying for a new reentry permit before it expires. There is also no limit for how often you can apply so you can do whenever is convenient for you.
That's interesting, thanks. Being on my first one, I was wondering how to handle it once it moves into the last year of validity. Or even before that, for maximum anshin.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

adamu wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:28 pm
kuma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:07 pm Whilst on the topic of reentry permits and timing considerations, in the past I asked Immigration: can you apply for a new reentry permit if you still have validity on an existing one?

That's interesting, thanks. Being on my first one, I was wondering how to handle it once it moves into the last year of validity. Or even before that, for maximum anshin.
We just renewed my son's reentry permit about 2 years early (because he's in the US during the school year and might not come beck next summer) and it went much more smoothly than I expected. Back when we had individual 3 (? or 5, can't recall) year visas for each of our kids which expired at different months because they were all based on their entry into Japan at birth we were completely unsuccessful at getting immigration to allow a visa to be renewed early so the reentry permit experience has been great in comparison.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

TokyoWart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:22 pm
adamu wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:28 pm
kuma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:07 pm ...
We just renewed my son's reentry permit about 2 years early (because he's in the US during the school year and might not come beck next summer) and it went much more smoothly than I expected. ....
Just to be clear, this was done when your son was visiting for summer this year, right? Not in his absence?

It's fairly clear from your statement. But I just wanted to validate my understanding that the applicant (in this case your son) should be present in-person to renew the re-entry permit.