Updating Resident card -> Some difficulties

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Updating Resident card -> Some difficulties

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

I am having some issues, and could use some advice.

Yucho - > Dead easy, dedicated website
Shinsei (Now SBI?) -> Dead easy, dedicated prompt.
SBI Securities-> They sent a mailer
Monex Securities -> Form you can download.
Rakuten Securities -> ZERO info, cannot do it unless you change your address/name.
SBI Neobank -> ZERO info, cannot do it unless you change your address/name.

(Formatted this way to make it easy for future searches)
Last edited by TokyoBoglehead on Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Updating Resident card -> Some difficulties

Post by zeroshiki »

Are you updating because of your status change or because your previous zairyu card was expiring?

For Rakuten Bank, you can find their phone number, you just have to keep clicking through the help page since its buried there.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:09 pm Are you updating because of your status change or because your previous zairyu card was expiring?

For Rakuten Bank, you can find their phone number, you just have to keep clicking through the help page since its buried there.
Sorry that was Rakuten Securities, not bank. I sent a message through the interface.

New status and card. Old one was set to expire which is why these updates are necessary.

I cannot believe Yucho was ahead of the curve here. They have their own KYC site!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:52 am
zeroshiki wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:09 pm Are you updating because of your status change or because your previous zairyu card was expiring?

Sorry that was Rakuten Securities, not bank. I sent a message through the interface.

New status and card. Old one was set to expire which is why these updates are necessary.

I cannot believe Yucho was ahead of the curve here. They have their own KYC site!
I'd just call Rakuten. I've had good experiences with calling them.

0120-733-776 (landline)
03-6739-2615 (cellphone)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:12 pm
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:52 am

I'd just call Rakuten. I've had good experiences with calling them.

0120-733-776 (landline)
03-6739-2615 (cellphone)
When I applied for my account they gave me a little Japanese language quiz, I basically cheated it with help from my wife whispering in my ear.

I am a little paranoid to call now and communicate in terrible Japanese.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I don't know if there's any penalty to not changing tbh (other than the hassle). You could wait for your next KYC since they will 100% send you snail mail telling you that you need to send your new zairyu card to them and you could do it then.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:01 am I don't know if there's any penalty to not changing tbh (other than the hassle). You could wait for your next KYC since they will 100% send you snail mail telling you that you need to send your new zairyu card to them and you could do it then.
Yucho locks down your account if you do not update before expiry. As do many other institutions including SBI securities and Shinsei.

I want to avoid this as Rakuten has my NISA and iDeco.

Technically I think the onus is on the individual.

Current KYC policies in Japan are a bit strange. Some companies are intense, some are lackadaisical. I think it depends on their experience with regulators....
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

When I had this happen to me years ago for Rakuten Bank, they sent me a notice well in advance of the expiration of my card (which I ignored) they then gave me an extra few months grace period after it expired (also ignored) before they locked down my account. It might be the same in this case but I can't guarantee anything.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:31 am When I had this happen to me years ago for Rakuten Bank, they sent me a notice well in advance of the expiration of my card (which I ignored) they then gave me an extra few months grace period after it expired (also ignored) before they locked down my account. It might be the same in this case but I can't guarantee anything.
This was there reply....Seems sketchy?
平素より楽天証券をご愛顧いただきまして、誠にありがとうございます。
お問い合わせの件につきまして、ご案内申し上げます。

確認しましたところ、お申込み時に在留期間を申請されていないため、
現時点で、永住権取得による手続きはございません。

なお、手続きが必要になった場合は、弊社WEB上でご案内いたします。

今後とも楽天証券をお引き立ていただきますよう、お願い申し上げます
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:31 am When I had this happen to me years ago for Rakuten Bank, they sent me a notice well in advance of the expiration of my card (which I ignored) they then gave me an extra few months grace period after it expired (also ignored) before they locked down my account. It might be the same in this case but I can't guarantee anything.
This was there reply....Seems sketchy?
平素より楽天証券をご愛顧いただきまして、誠にありがとうございます。
お問い合わせの件につきまして、ご案内申し上げます。

確認しましたところ、お申込み時に在留期間を申請されていないため、
現時点で、永住権取得による手続きはございません。

なお、手続きが必要になった場合は、弊社WEB上でご案内いたします。

今後とも楽天証券をお引き立ていただきますよう、お願い申し上げます
Maybe it's different for Securities companies? They're basically saying they didn't keep track of your resident card expiration so whatever lol