Nancy
Regular

Re: Sell property without going through estate agent

Post by Nancy »

Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

No amount of money is worth trading for your peace of mind.
Hear, hear!

After going through the complications of selling in Japan, we were happy to pay the agent his commission. Perhaps if you are already very experienced in real estate purchasing here, with superb Japanese - especially in the genre of legal Japanese - and proficient in dealing with Japanese bureaucratic practices, then fine. Taking a risk with the biggest financial transaction you may ever, however, make does not seem wise given the language and cultural differences involved.
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I tend to go with the general flow i.e. weighing up the money I would potentially save for the risk of being on the hook for much more if the buyer wasn't happy, I tend to prefer to buy the peace of mind and save the time. I'm not planning to go into the property speculation business, so the amount of time I would have to put into learning it is also better spent learning something else, I think. I don't rate my Japanese level for that kind of thing either. I managed the whole house purchase thing, and mortgage application thing, and that was worth doing, but this does feel like a step too far. Or maybe I'm getting old and cantakerous. 8-)

But it's always worth asking around and getting other opinions, because if I hadn't challenged the "commonsense" view, I wouldn't have a Japanese pension now - I would never had back-paid ten years' worth, and I would also never have bought property in Japan, which are both things I'm thoroughly glad I did end up doing.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Not mentioned yet...?

I've heard that for a private sale, there is no consumption tax, so someone (buyer and/or seller) can save some money.

(there may be some conditions on this)