UR housing when retired

jane doe
Regular

UR housing when retired

Post by jane doe »

Does anyone have experience of renting UR housing when retired?

UR housing is targeted at people who have above a minimum salary, and they want proof of income. Supposedly if you alternatively can pay a year's rent up front, you might also qualify even if you don't have proof of employment, or your own business income.

It could be cost effective if you don't mind living somewhere out of the way, where rents are lower, to rent out your current property and go and live in a rented UR. Does anyone have experience of renting a UR this way ie without a job, but savings in the bank?
concerned
Veteran

Re: UR housing when retired

Post by concerned »

jane doe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:44 am Does anyone have experience of renting UR housing when retired?

UR housing is targeted at people who have above a minimum salary, and they want proof of income. Supposedly if you alternatively can pay a year's rent up front, you might also qualify even if you don't have proof of employment, or your own business income.

It could be cost effective if you don't mind living somewhere out of the way, where rents are lower, to rent out your current property and go and live in a rented UR. Does anyone have experience of renting a UR this way ie without a job, but savings in the bank?
A good idea.
I can confirm that not having salary history and paying one year rent in advance with a job you can secure a UR apartment.
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

If you pay a year's rent up front, does that mean you must rent it for a minimum of a year, or do you get the unused money back if you move out early?
Minus any costs for damage of course.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

jane doe wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:12 am If you pay a year's rent up front, does that mean you must rent it for a minimum of a year, or do you get the unused money back if you move out early?
Minus any costs for damage of course.
https://www.ur-net.go.jp/chintai/sp/rent/requirements/

There’s a whole bunch of info there. It says with the one time payment you can’t cancel unless it’s for unavoidable reasons. In which case you can and I’m sure money would be returned.

It also shows another method of proving savings 100 times the monthly rental cost. Then you pay monthly.

They certainly seem to have a number of options for the “elderly” involving varying levels of amenities.

“Elderly” in quotes as I’m just a few worlds cups away from being one myself..
"That guy"
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

Thanks, @Moneymatters, that's really helpful. I might well look into UR as a transitional thing.