Is national insurance the same as pension?

Adamakin86
Regular

Is national insurance the same as pension?

Post by Adamakin86 »

I’m really sorry for the extremely basic question. But I see people talking about national insurance payments and I also see people talking about state pension payments. Are they the same? If I want my state pension do I pay national insurance?
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Is national insurance the same as pension?

Post by Beaglehound »

Assuming you are talking about the UK, paying national insurance is what qualifies you to receive the state pension eventually. In the UK you pay national insurance in a similar way to normal income tax, but if overseas you have to register to make voluntary payments.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

National Insurance is a term specific to the UK, it's not related to retirement in Japan unless you have a relationship with the UK and also want to receive the UK state pension.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

adamu wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:35 pm National Insurance is a term specific to the UK, it's not related to retirement in Japan unless you have a relationship with the UK and also want to receive the UK state pension.
Aha, I think I misunderstood the question, clearly not basic enough for me :D

So the OP seems to be confused about the difference between kokumin nenkin (Japanese state pension) payments with U.K. national insurance payments, which entitle one to a U.K. state pension. Or not…
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Beaglehound wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:48 pm
adamu wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:35 pm National Insurance is a term specific to the UK, it's not related to retirement in Japan unless you have a relationship with the UK and also want to receive the UK state pension.
Aha, I think I misunderstood the question, clearly not basic enough for me :D

So the OP seems to be confused about the difference between kokumin nenkin (Japanese state pension) payments with U.K. national insurance payments, which entitle one to a U.K. state pension. Or not…
National Insurance in the UK is the same as Social Security in the US, Super Annuation in Australia, Kokumin Nenkin, consisting of Kiso Nenkin, Kosei Nenkin and Kousei Nenkin Kikin in Japan, and I'm sure by other names in other countries.
Last edited by Tkydon on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Adamakin86
Regular

Post by Adamakin86 »

Thanks to you all for your replies. I was referring to the UK pension only. Sorry. I should have been clear.
ClearAsMud
Veteran

Post by ClearAsMud »

Besides the point made above about the provenance of "National Insurance," I'd also like to inject a note of caution with respect to Japanese terminology. Kokumin nenkin only refers to one part of the Japanese pension system, so it shouldn't be taken to mean "the Japanese state pension" or the equivalent of US Social Security without an awareness of the qualifications involved. Such an awareness is necessary if comparisons with the pension systems of other countries are to be more than just rough approximations.

In particular, it is important to recognize the distinction between the two tiers of the Japanese public-pension system: kokumin nenkin and kōsei nenkin. The Japan Pension Service refers in English to the two tiers of its public-pension system as the National Pension system and the Employees' Pension Insurance (EPI) system. Technically, the National Pension incorporates several components -- including disability benefits and survivors' benefits -- of which the Old-Age Basic Pension (rōrei kiso nenkin, or kiso nenkin for short) is the actual old-age pension. Likewise, EPI incorporates -- in addition to other benefits -- both an Old-Age Basic Pension component and an Old-Age Employees' Pension (rōrei kōsei nenkin, or kōsei nenkin for short) component (see the concise Japanese definitions here.) The Employees' Pension, unlike the National Pension, is earnings-based, has significantly different contribution requirements, and provides significantly different benefits.

The two schemes are thus joined at the hip, so to speak, but the National Pension is categorical different from the Employees' Pension, and the only way to refer to both together is to use the term kōteki nenkin, or public pension(s). You will simply not see kokumin nenkin used to include kōsei nenkin -- which in the narrowest sense means only the Old-Age Employees' Pension component of the pension -- anywhere in Japanese.

So with regard to "state pension," I would take kokumin nenkin to be more limited in scope (though I'm not familiar with the pension systems of most countries and YMMV). With regard to Social Security, that system is wholly earnings-based, so it does not really correspond to kokumin nenkin at all -- it corresponds more closely to kōsei nenkin, especially in the narrow sense of the term, although it can be useful at times to describe it as roughly equivalent to kōteki nenkin.

By the way, one of the quirks of this two-tier system (and another indication of the distinction between the tiers) is that even though an employee is no longer covered by the Basic Pension after age 60, Employees' Pension premiums -- being calculated holistically based on income -- are not reduced. In other words, your premiums stay the same (depending on salary), but you generally receive no further Basic Pension benefits. You can also choose to take or delay receiving either component independently.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Adamakin86 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:27 am I see people talking about national insurance payments and I also see people talking about state pension payments. Are they the same? If I want my state pension do I pay national insurance?
Adamakin86 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:10 pm Thanks to you all for your replies. I was referring to the UK pension only. Sorry. I should have been clear.
Check out the UK article on the wiki:
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingdom

Paying enough UK National Insurance is required to be eligible to receive the UK state pension. National Insurance covers other social security benefits too, like unemployment benefit, but for residents of Japan the pension is the important one.