Barclays UK closing expat accounts ?

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
RetroNewbie
Regular

Re: Barclays UK closing expat accounts ?

Post by RetroNewbie »

Plus they don't pay any interest.

I don't have their physical debit card, but I was quite impressed that I could get a virtual one on my phone in about 10 seconds.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Deep Blue wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:49 am The main issues with WISE for Japan residents are that the maximum balance of all currencies can not exceed 1 million yen. So if you have more than 6000 pounds in the UK, putting it in Wise would more than max you out.

Also, it might be a sticking point for some that Wise's UK bank accounts are not covered by the FSCS (which guarentees all deposits up to 85,000 GBP). But since your losses are limited to 1 million yen, maybe it is not something to worry about.

https://wise.com/help/articles/3GBSRou4 ... e-in-japan
Why would you transfer money to Wise and keep it there? My transfers from the UK go into my Wise GBP a/c, I transfer them immediately to my Wise JPY a/c then transfer out to my J bank. Similarly v.v.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

banders wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:50 am Why would you transfer money to Wise and keep it there?
I deposit a few man and use it for general non-JPY purchases, then top up when it runs out. Cheaper than the credit card (and the instant notification when a transaction occurs is nice, too).
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

adamu wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:46 am
banders wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:50 am Why would you transfer money to Wise and keep it there?
I deposit a few man and use it for general non-JPY purchases, then top up when it runs out. Cheaper than the credit card (and the instant notification when a transaction occurs is nice, too).
Right. But not a million yen!
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

banders wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:50 am
Deep Blue wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:49 am The main issues with WISE for Japan residents are that the maximum balance of all currencies can not exceed 1 million yen. So if you have more than 6000 pounds in the UK, putting it in Wise would more than max you out.

Also, it might be a sticking point for some that Wise's UK bank accounts are not covered by the FSCS (which guarentees all deposits up to 85,000 GBP). But since your losses are limited to 1 million yen, maybe it is not something to worry about.

https://wise.com/help/articles/3GBSRou4 ... e-in-japan
Why would you transfer money to Wise and keep it there? My transfers from the UK go into my Wise GBP a/c, I transfer them immediately to my Wise JPY a/c then transfer out to my J bank. Similarly v.v.
The use case being discussed was Wise as a UK current account. As a conduit for transferring small sums cheaply I agree it is a good option.
Del

Post by Del »

Following us receiving the account closure notification from Barclays and with info gleaned on this forum ( thank you all including @RetireJapan for this resource ), we made an impromptu trip to the UK to open a HSBC account using our Japanese address. Process took over an hour. Documentation used are as follows:

Recent Barclays Bank statements with Japanese address ( changed 3 yrs ago ! ) Suggest printed from a Barclays Bank branch and stamped if possible.
Japanese IDP International Driver’s Permit ( This also has your Japanese address in English )
Passports ( Wedding certificate taken due to the unusual naming convention used in my wife’s Japanese passport - maiden name followed by married surname in brackets :? )
Letter from Barclays regarding forthcoming account closure.
MyNumber Card for tax identification purpose as UK non-resident ( They had difficulty inputting this number but eventually resolved it: no spaces )
Proof of income ( in our case current pension payments to Barclays listed on bank statements )

Bank accounts with No Lending opened (suits our current needs). Debit cards to be sent to our Japanese home address.

Suggest making an appointment with a full service HSBC UK branch and be prepared.

Next NS&I for savings.

Del :)
Retired to Japan :D Subsistence farming :shock:
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Del wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 am Japanese IDP International Driver’s Permit ( This also has your Japanese address in English )
Oh that is useful information, thanks!
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Del wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 am Following us receiving the account closure notification from Barclays and with info gleaned on this forum ( thank you all including @RetireJapan for this resource ), we made an impromptu trip to the UK to open a HSBC account using our Japanese address. Process took over an hour. Documentation used are as follows:

Recent Barclays Bank statements with Japanese address ( changed 3 yrs ago ! ) Suggest printed from a Barclays Bank branch and stamped if possible.
Japanese IDP International Driver’s Permit ( This also has your Japanese address in English )
Passports ( Wedding certificate taken due to the unusual naming convention used in my wife’s Japanese passport - maiden name followed by married surname in brackets :? )
Letter from Barclays regarding forthcoming account closure.
MyNumber Card for tax identification purpose as UK non-resident ( They had difficulty inputting this number but eventually resolved it: no spaces )
Proof of income ( in our case current pension payments to Barclays listed on bank statements )

Bank accounts with No Lending opened (suits our current needs). Debit cards to be sent to our Japanese home address.

Suggest making an appointment with a full service HSBC UK branch and be prepared.

Next NS&I for savings.

Looking forward to your NS & I application process story. I have heard that non-residents can still save with them and the interest rates are quite competitive. Better than most high street banks.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Del wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:41 am Following us receiving the account closure notification from Barclays and with info gleaned on this forum ( thank you all including @RetireJapan for this resource ), we made an impromptu trip to the UK to open a HSBC account using our Japanese address. Process took over an hour. Documentation used are as follows:
May I ask what you will use the bank account for?
Del

Post by Del »

Hi banders

HSBC accounts opened to transfer our monies from Barclays.
Paying in our UK Pensions.
Paying out a couple of direct debits.
Seems important to have a UK account when transferring monies to NS & I .
To use on occasion when we are in the UK.

Retired to Japan :D Subsistence farming :shock: