Setting up Junior NISA through SBI

Dr.Strangelove
Regular

Setting up Junior NISA through SBI

Post by Dr.Strangelove »

Hi all,

Total newby to NISA here.

Have set up a Junior account for my two daughters and have just received a first report through the post.

Each of my girls have around 1 million yen in savings. We set up monthly payments of ¥5,000.
We chose one product which is eMAXIS my midfielder.
Only two payments have gone through so far.
銘柄 取得年 保有口数 取得単価 取得金額 基準価額 評価額 評価損益 評価損益(%)
三菱UFJ国際-eMAXIS 最適化バランス(マイミッドフィルダー) 2018 5,258 11,412 6,000 11,398 5,993 -7
-0.12%
合計 -7
-0.12%

Does anyone have experience with SBI? I am having a hard time understanding the process. Is it all automated?
Is this a good choice of product?
Should we continue with small regular payments or invest one lump sum?
Can I provide any more information to help give advice from?

I am grateful for any help.
fools_gold
Veteran

Re: Setting up Junior NISA through SBI

Post by fools_gold »

The emaxis optimised balanced funds are a good idea and they're cheaper than most roboadvisors. However, the expense ratios are quite high.

The asset allocation for the midfielder also seems quite conservative. For example, I think it has around 25% Japanese bonds. How conservative you want to be depends on your own risk tolerance and how long you're thinking of investing for. For example if your daughters are ten years old and you want the money for university fees, a more conservative allocation would be appropriate. If you're thinking more long term you can take more risk and go 100% stocks. That's what I do with my son's NISA. The emaxis slim world stock fund looks pretty good with a 0.142% ER. If you want to add bonds and REITs you could put some of your money in the emaxis 8 way balanced fund too (0.16% ER) too.

Investing a total of 1 million yen 5,000 yen per month is going to take forever and you'll have years of missed gains. I usually put a lump sum in every year an just forget about it.
Dr.Strangelove
Regular

Post by Dr.Strangelove »

Hi fools_gold,
Thanks for the reply!

Actually my daughters are still quite young-both under six. So we have a lot of time on our side and can be more aggressive. I am willing to invest more into the emaxis optimized balanced funds but also stocks too.
Is this emaxis slim world stock you were referring to?
三菱UFJ国際-eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(除く日本)
This is the 8 way balanced fund right?
三菱UFJ国際-eMAXIS Slim バランス(8資産均等型)

You are right, investing a lump sum sounds like the best way to go. I hope to get this sorted and then just forget about it for a year. Investing a lump sum on each birthday.
So, theoretically if I invest say ¥120,000 a year I should buy ¥100,000 of the above world stock and then ¥20,000 of the balance 8? and then add a similar amount the following year?

Thanks so much for your time and input-I really appreciate it.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

That allocation would give you 6.25% bonds and 4.16% REITS and around 90% stocks. You can always allocate more to the balanced fund if you want more bonds.

The emaxis world stock fund doesn't include Japan, so you might want to add a Japanese stock fund too. Again, the emaxis slim ones are pretty cheap. Japan is around 10% or the world stock market, but you could add more or less depending on your preference.

When I add money every year, I usually allocate it so that the funds stay in balance. So, for example, if your balanced fund is down compared to the stock fund I'd add more to that to keep the original 5 to 1 split. Good luck!