Milestone Thread

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
JimNasium
Veteran

Milestone Thread

Post by JimNasium »

I thought it might be nice to have a post celebrating any milestones we hit.

After two years of working hard to save for retirement with a modest salary I hit 2,500,000円 combined in my T-NISA, iDeCo, and extra investing account. 25% the way to the hardest first 10,000,000円.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Milestone Thread

Post by RetireJapan »

JimNasium wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 pm I thought it might be nice to have a post celebrating any milestones we hit.

After two years of working hard to save for retirement with a modest salary I hit 2,500,000円 combined in my T-NISA, iDeCo, and extra investing account. 25% the way to the hardest first 10,000,000円.
Congratulations!

Also thanks for coming up with this thread -love it :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm
JimNasium wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 pm I thought it might be nice to have a post celebrating any milestones we hit.

Congratulations!

Also thanks for coming up with this thread -love it :D
Excellent work, JimN.
Last edited by TokyoBoglehead on Mon May 01, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

My family started in 2020, I cannot share my wife or kids accounts, but here is my personal progress so far. Thank you everyone for your helpful input.
IMG_20230501_220246_715.jpg
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

The money numbers seem fine. The aspect of milestones (kilometer stones?) that occupy part of my attention is cycling. This is the smallest nutshell for 2022. And while it's been a slow start, a 2023 goal would be to match that.

("Activities" = cycling. So just a summary of that, I do other things but don't bother logging that in garmin.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 5.37.24.png
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

captainspoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:47 pm The money numbers seem fine. The aspect of milestones (kilometer stones?) that occupy part of my attention is cycling. This is the smallest nutshell for 2022. And while it's been a slow start, a 2023 goal would be to match that.

("Activities" = cycling. So just a summary of that, I do other things but don't bother logging that in garmin.)
You seem to have gotten a bit lost. :lol

Here you go: https://tokyocycle.com/#general-forum
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:38 pm
captainspoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:47 pm The money numbers seem fine. The aspect of milestones (kilometer stones?) that occupy part of my attention is cycling. This is the smallest nutshell for 2022. And while it's been a slow start, a 2023 goal would be to match that.

You seem to have gotten a bit lost. :lol

Here you go: https://tokyocycle.com/#general-forum
Lost? ...not really.
• I'm 71, which is its own kind of milestone.
• One of my parents died at 54, the other at 97, so I have about 4 years to go before I'll have hit my parents' average lifespan--a future milestone I hope to hit and exceed.
• Two kids in their 30s, both thru uni and now married, seemingly off on their own trajectories, a milestone (two milestones?).
• Still married ourselves after 35 years(!), milestone. :o
• And still able to enjoy those miles on a bike. Of course that's a milestone--esp. given an accident & past medical issues.

And to me, those are the areas where contentment lies, the stuff that 'counts'.

...But, the financial background: We haven't had any debt for well over 20 years. We simply paid-as-they-went for the kids' uni money. We both get pensions, enough to live on comfortably even if we were otherwise broke. Personally, after six years of retirement (no work, zero side hustles), I still have over half of my severance pay, so I haven't had to touch 'investments' (and that situation should last another 6+yrs)--no worries about whether the 4% rule is really the 2% rule, etc. To this point, my wife's situation is a little different, she's been retired two years, but probably more similar than not (e.g., she does have a post retirement side hustle).

Since I've been retired for a while, I haven't been adding to investments. For that account, which is in the US (and these percents exclude/ignore remaining 退職金 here), I've always been on the aggressive side. So maybe this is the interesting part?
• 54% in SCHG, VGT, QQQ, and SMH. (descending order, here and next items)
• 30% in SCHX, VIG, and SCHD.
• 16% in various dividend payers (and some cash).
That last group is my sandbox, where I allow myself to throw darts, the first and second are "no-touch'ems".
((and no bonds, in case that went unnoticed ;) ))

Overall, that account paid about $25k/(¥3m) in 2022 dividends. The plan going forward is to let that accumulate, either as cash or additions to any of the above, or maybe give it away. Of course there are some taxes on that, but taxes are just a fact of life. That account is in dollars, and yes it's down some in the last 1- and 2-year periods (but up a lot in the last six months). Of course the value of dollars has changed with the relative value of the yen.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Well, I'm not sure if it's a milestone, but I just looked at my accounts and updated the googley pages thingy me bob. And we just hit 15 million so far. But that's with the caveat that the s&p500 has just risen. and Im sure it will dip back down later in the month as I see it swinging up and down.
Sadly some of it will be taxable as we started before the wonderful world of NISA. Gits :oops: :oops:

I have no milestone to aim for at the moment. But just to fill this year's allocation up. I know I can't so am wondering if I should cash in the money from the taxable accounts and move that amount to the NISA. :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Bubblegun on Wed May 10, 2023 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:50 am Well, I'm not sure if it's a milestone, but I just looked at my accounts and updated the googley pages thingy me bob. And we just hit 15 million so far. But that's with the caveat that the s&p500 has just risen. and Im sure it will dip back down later in the month as I see it swinging up and down.
Sadly some of it will be taxable as we started before the wonderful world of NISA. Gits :oops: :oops:

I have no milestone to aim for at the moment. But just to fill this year's allocation up. I know I can't so am wondering if I should cash in the money from the taxable accounts and move that amount to the NISA. :roll: :roll:
Oooh opted for 3d? Do do you treat the J-Nisa as part of your own portfolio as it can be sold before the kids turn 18?

Oh I think many people with do exactly that and realize their gains (or loses) and move things to the New nISA.

I certainly will. I'm worried about the timing. Statically a lump sum sale and repurchase in January 2023 is the best approach...but it makes one nervous!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:50 am
I am considering this from next year with the larger NISA amounts. I will do as much as I can tsumitate, and also sell taxable funds to try and fill up the NISA for 2024 and beyond.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.