Milestone Thread

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Milestone Thread

Post by RetireJapan »

robster wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:31 am
We should make a strategy planning or poll thread about this topic.

I'm very curious to learn what approach everyone is considering, the data seems to argue strongly a for lump sum sale and rebuy in January.
I second that proposal. It's a big call for many of us, and I for one am eager to piggyback on the wisdom of greater minds than mine!
viewtopic.php?t=2998 8-)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
robster
Regular

Post by robster »

[/quote]

viewtopic.php?t=2998 8-)
[/quote]

:D :D
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

JimNasium wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am I reached $20,000 left on the mortgage.
It feels like the interest rates could go up to 10% and I wouldn’t even blink. I payed off the principal post 2008, even though I could have put that money to work in the s&p500 that was pre NISA time. And I don’t regret a penny of it.
That’s awesome! I bet getting that last $20,000 is paid off is going to feel amazing.
UK mortgage interest rates are halfway onto 10%- painful. I think it will be a while if not never until The Bank of Japan raise their interest rates to that level.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:41 am
JimNasium wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am I reached $20,000 left on the mortgage.
It feels like the interest rates could go up to 10% and I wouldn’t even blink. I payed off the principal post 2008, even though I could have put that money to work in the s&p500 that was pre NISA time. And I don’t regret a penny of it.
That’s awesome! I bet getting that last $20,000 is paid off is going to feel amazing.
UK mortgage interest rates are halfway onto 10%- painful. I think it will be a while if not never until The Bank of Japan raise their interest rates to that level.
Never say never but I'm fairly confident that won't happen :D

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Ding ding ding, “milestone” hit!

My outstanding mortgage balance is now less than my Monex account balance.

I guess if I added in my other accounts too the sums would have flipped already some time back, but the mortgage balance and the Monex account are the two biggins.

If the markets crash or the yen gets a reprieve, this milestone achievement might be “unwound”, but for now I shall enjoy the feeling while it lasts.

The rule of 72 suggests that by the time my mortgage is gone my Monex account should be at least double. Will report back on this in two decades.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

Dunno if this is a milestone, but I finally have my SBI account set up and working and some money I put into it is now complaining it has to do some work rather than laze around in my bank account.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Yes setting up an account and funding it even with a little to start the habit is perhaps the most important milestone. First milestone down! Congrats.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

I JUST thought to subtract 20.x% capital gains from taxable investments in my planning sheet.

This would not be reflect in a brokerage account or moneyforward, etc etc.

Oops, some of that profit/net worth just vanished along with my New Nisa completions estimate being pushed into the future. :(
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:39 pm I JUST thought to subtract 20.x% capital gains from taxable investments in my planning sheet.

This would not be reflect in a brokerage account or moneyforward, etc etc.
Yeah, it was a bit of a shock when that occurred to me! :shock:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Still time to move to Singapore :)

Or to look at it another way: would you pay 20% to stay here?