Home Builders - Who did you go with & how is it going now?

TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: Home Builders - Who did you go with & how is it going now?

Post by TokyoWart »

DerekH wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:30 am
TokyoWart wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:05 am We actually went with a small company that is no longer in business when we bought 22 years ago (didn't have a choice since we were buying the new house as they finished it and the area we wanted has extremely limited supply). In retrospect I would have preferred to go with Mitsui if there had been any availability and I think they are worth the premium.
Ah, pre-fab. Yeah there are a lot of those around and some seem nice. But, as we'll be living there hopefully forever, a little more customization would be nice.
No, pre-fab would be a pre-fabricated house which has parts built elsewhere and is then put in situ at the home site. This was a "spec" house where the builder takes the risk of building before a buyer has been identified. Our transaction occured right around the time of the September 11 terrorist attacks and the financial turmoil at the time helped in getting a better price (or removing alternative offers).
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Hiome Builders - Who did you go with & how is it going now?

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

DerekH wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:27 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:46 pm Mitsui-built home owner here, very impressed with their houses. Going round any housing estate, there definitely is a Mitsui style which you can easily tell. In the same way I think there is a distinct Daiwa style- very plasticky exterior.

We went for the central heating through ventilating shafts, it wasn't cheap, and he we had to cut other things, but well worth it. Even our toilets are heated and cooled.

I wouldn't say Mitsui home are that premium priced, not compared to the other national housebuilders, indeed they came in cheaper than Sekisui.

There were two things that made us choose Mitsui, the sales rep said we have bank so don't worry about mortgages and not having PR that was the clincher. (Mortgage with SMBC, who are somehow affiliated) The second was the sales rep, himself; Yoshida san who was there from when we shook hands at the beginning to handing over of the keys. He was so knowledgeable about the whole building process and my wife's continual changes to interior and exterior designs. 13 years in, still impressed with what Mitsui have built and still in regular contact with Yoshida san.
Glad to hear the central heating is working out. Did you get a central heating unit? Or is a large wall mounted AC unit in there? I've seen both with Mitsu
Central heating unit. As I type it is right next to me in my study. Mitsui were really trying to promote them when we were building and we gave permission to use our house as a showroom and we got all the old furniture from their showroom, which they were closing down, saved a small fortune- and we have still got some of it.
Jansen
Veteran

Post by Jansen »

I went with a local builder while a friend used Ichijo. We're in the same area with similarly sized houses. My cost was around half of his.

I don't have any particular complaints about my place or builder, they did a good job. But when I look at my friend's place, the fit and finish, attention to detail and overall quality are very much higher. There were so many thingamabobs that I didn't even know existed that I wished I got. Like laundry pole hangers inside the laundry room.

To be fair, we both wanted different things. My friend wanted a finished house to move into immediately and just start living, so he had a lot of room specific features, media cabinets, tatami rooms, dual kitchen counters, dining area with specific lighting. I considered a home to be something that grows with you and wanted the flexibility to change things around so I have lots of huge empty spaces that I get to customise as necessary.

I have a hidden storage area that I can access by knocking down a wall. I'm planning on adding a pantry where the fridge currently is. My garage can be easily converted into another room (or two) when the time comes.

So I'd say it depends on what you're looking for and if you're comfortable with things not being 'complete'.
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

Jansen wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:36 pm I went with a local builder while a friend used Ichijo. We're in the same area with similarly sized houses. My cost was around half of his.

I don't have any particular complaints about my place or builder, they did a good job. But when I look at my friend's place, the fit and finish, attention to detail and overall quality are very much higher. There were so many thingamabobs that I didn't even know existed that I wished I got. Like laundry pole hangers inside the laundry room.

To be fair, we both wanted different things. My friend wanted a finished house to move into immediately and just start living, so he had a lot of room specific features, media cabinets, tatami rooms, dual kitchen counters, dining area with specific lighting. I considered a home to be something that grows with you and wanted the flexibility to change things around so I have lots of huge empty spaces that I get to customise as necessary.

I have a hidden storage area that I can access by knocking down a wall. I'm planning on adding a pantry where the fridge currently is. My garage can be easily converted into another room (or two) when the time comes.

So I'd say it depends on what you're looking for and if you're comfortable with things not being 'complete'.
Interesting stuff! I love the idea of the hidden storage area. Was that to get pass / get over some regulations? Good idea with the garage too. How does your home compare when it comes to heating and cooling? (To your friends)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Shuko Build.

Low cost, but decent enough quality for us.
They were pretty flexible, and easy enough to deal with.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

I don't know if this is a good site or not, but it has the top 10 house makers ranked according to price per tsubo. It does seem to talk about insulation and house structure etc. I never knew that there was a difference between Sekisui Haimu and Sekisui House before. Mitsui is number 1 for price per tsubo, according to this article.
https://megulie.co.jp/blog/2023/01/13/c ... o-ranking/