Employment insurance certificate

MacAddict
Regular

Employment insurance certificate

Post by MacAddict »

Hello. Where can I obtain a replacement of my Employment insurance certificate? The one with the 11-digit number.
I may have been given the certificate years ago but I cannot find it.
Thank you.
Michael
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Employment insurance certificate

Post by Tkydon »

Misread - deleted
Last edited by Tkydon on Sun May 28, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

MacAddict wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:35 am Hello. Where can I obtain a replacement of my Employment insurance certificate? The one with the 11-digit number.
I may have been given the certificate years ago but I cannot find it.
Thank you.
Michael
If you are referring to 雇用保険 (unemployment insurance) your HR department/employer should issue it to you when you finish working for them. Or you can request it while still working, but I am not sure what for ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
jane doe
Regular

Post by jane doe »

My understanding is that it is your property anyway, and they are just keeping it for you. That is what my employer told me when the law caught up with them and they first enrolled me in unemployment insurance.
Apart from that though, you have a right to see your personal information they hold on you whenever you ask. So you don't have to give a reason.
If they were still awkward with you, I would ask them to confirm if you need to contact the Labour Standards Bureau to request that the employer complies with the law.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Does it change after you switch your job?
Or is it like nenkin number which stays the same wherever you go?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goran wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:04 am Does it change after you switch your job?
Or is it like nenkin number which stays the same wherever you go?
Should be the same number, which is why you need to get the information from your former employer when starting a new job (so they can register you and pay the insurance).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ClearAsMud
Veteran

Post by ClearAsMud »

You can confirm your number either with your employer or with Hello Work. Hello Work also issues same-day replacement copies of your insurance certificate, or the application can be made by mail. If you have a MyNumber card, your MynaPortal account also contains the information.

The government site explaining the system is here, and the Freee website has a good explanation of the certificate (雇用保険被保険者証) itself -- which some employers apparently don't pass on to their employees even though they actually should. But the employer also gets issued two copies of a notification confirming eligibility for coverage (雇用保険被保険者資格取得等確認通知書, beginning from May 2003), and should have passed the employee copy on to you. Maybe that's what you lost. But it's only a notification and, as stated, you can always have the actual certificate reissued to you by Hello Work.