Good buys on Mercari? (Or other used marketplaces)

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Good buys on Mercari? (Or other used marketplaces)

Post by zeroshiki »

I dislike the Mercari culture of having to ask permission to buy something. Like, it's right there. Let me buy it. But sellers will cancel and say you're a dick if you don't ask permission sometimes. Their push for everything to basically be free shipping is great however.
Biketokyo
Regular

Post by Biketokyo »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:54 am

There was an item on the news a while back saying there's been a number of cases of thieves stealing veges from people's fields and selling them on Mercari. I'm sure it's a just a nasty few who are doing that, but perhaps it might pay to make sure you're getting those veges direct from the farmer and not directly from the thief.
I hadn’t heard about that. I was just surprised that it was ok to sell food on Mercari at all. Personally, if I found a farmer to buy from I’d rather find a way to support them by purchasing directly without a company getting a cut.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:02 am I dislike the Mercari culture of having to ask permission to buy something. Like, it's right there. Let me buy it. But sellers will cancel and say you're a dick if you don't ask permission sometimes. Their push for everything to basically be free shipping is great however.
:o
Huh!?
I just straight up buy whatever then comment a little "よろしくお願いします!" So far everyone has been cool...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

Bushiman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:28 pm
zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:02 am I dislike the Mercari culture of having to ask permission to buy something. Like, it's right there. Let me buy it. But sellers will cancel and say you're a dick if you don't ask permission sometimes. Their push for everything to basically be free shipping is great however.
:o
Huh!?
I just straight up buy whatever then comment a little "よろしくお願いします!" So far everyone has been cool...
I just told my ol' lady what you replied to the permission statement and she was like "Huh?" herself. She said sellers will generally only cancel if the buyer has a bad rep. She bought my left-handed golf clubs on it. The seller was kind enough to bring it to our door at no extra cost.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Huh I don't know then. Recently all I've ever purchased was stuff that has 即決OK because of this but maybe the culture has changed. It definitely was a thing when I used it years ago.
Wilbur
Regular

Post by Wilbur »

Biketokyo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:15 pm
AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:54 am

There was an item on the news a while back saying there's been a number of cases of thieves stealing veges from people's fields and selling them on Mercari. I'm sure it's a just a nasty few who are doing that, but perhaps it might pay to make sure you're getting those veges direct from the farmer and not directly from the thief.
I hadn’t heard about that. I was just surprised that it was ok to sell food on Mercari at all. Personally, if I found a farmer to buy from I’d rather find a way to support them by purchasing directly without a company getting a cut.
It's your lucky day or should I say maybe my lucky day. :)

I'm a farmer that would be more than happy to directly sell my grapes and peaches to customers. If you or anyone is interested in supporting a farmer directly, you can send me a pm and I will send you a link to my website.
Biketokyo
Regular

Post by Biketokyo »

Wilbur wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:19 pm
It's your lucky day or should I say maybe my lucky day. :)

I'm a farmer that would be more than happy to directly sell my grapes and peaches to customers. If you or anyone is interested in supporting a farmer directly, you can send me a pm and I will send you a link to my website.
Wilbur, thanks for that information. I just sent you a pm.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

After several purchases in Mercari I never had this situation :shock: The only case where this could happen is if someone asked for a lower price, it was granted and to avoid someone else fom taking it they write their name/username in the listing but that's it
gaijin86
Regular

Post by gaijin86 »

Cracaphat wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 am ... The seller was kind enough to bring it to our door at no extra cost.
Really? Did Mercari allow you to write your address?
I found that Mercari would zap or disallow any message that mentioned an address (otherwise trades could be done without Mercari taking a cut).
Maybe they allow address AFTER a deal has been done and paid for?
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

gaijin86 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:47 am
Cracaphat wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 am ... The seller was kind enough to bring it to our door at no extra cost.
Really? Did Mercari allow you to write your address?
I found that Mercari would zap or disallow any message that mentioned an address (otherwise trades could be done without Mercari taking a cut).
Maybe they allow address AFTER a deal has been done and paid for?