Confused about health insurance increase

KCLenny
Veteran

Confused about health insurance increase

Post by KCLenny »

Last week I received my residence tax. It’s gone down a small bit from last year.
Great news. So I assumed that my health insurance would be going down a bit too.
No. It’s gone up.
An extra ¥3000 a month!
Is that normal? Is that right?

Do I need to provide more details about income and residence tax/health insurance amounts to get more advice? That’s fine if I do, I just don’t have the complete details to hand as of writing this.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Confused about health insurance increase

Post by Beaglehound »

Only thing I can think of without figures is if your wife had income last year that may have increased your household health insurance.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Your Residents' Tax is based only on your taxable income in the previous tax year, but the health insurance premium is for the household, and is based on the total taxable income of all household members covered, up to the household maximum limit.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Ah is that right?
That makes a bit of sense then.
Wife started working a bit last year. Only once or twice a week minimum wage.
Glad that’s getting taxed to nothing then. Really encouraging more work.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I thought there was some kind of allowance for partner income though? Like they could earn up to a point and it wouldn’t affect things like tax or taxable income?
Honestly this is all so unnecessarily convoluted and complicated for me. So sorry if I’m seeming dumb.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:01 pm I thought there was some kind of allowance for partner income though? Like they could earn up to a point and it wouldn’t affect things like tax or taxable income?
Honestly this is all so unnecessarily convoluted and complicated for me. So sorry if I’m seeming dumb.
Your partner will be entitled to a basic allowance for health insurance and residence tax (430k from memory) and national income tax (480k) plus an extra 550k if her income is from employment by an employer (as opposed to self employment). If she earns more than that she will be taxed at 10% for both health insurance and residence tax, and 5% for income tax. Has she had a bill for residence tax?
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

My wife got a grand total of 304,000 last year. That’s all.
She hasn’t had a residence tax bill. She doesn’t pay income tax. And she’s employed with a company as far as I can understand (where as I’m with a sole proprietorship).
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

https://www.city.nerima.tokyo.jp/kurash ... nglish.pdf

When they send your payment slips for National Health Insurance, kokumin kenkou hoken, to the head of household, they also send a sheet that shows all the members of the household, their 2022 Taxable Income, the months they are covered under the family plan and the assessed annual cost, which is then split over 10 months. May and June are not included for payments.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:31 pm My wife got a grand total of 304,000 last year. That’s all.
She hasn’t had a residence tax bill. She doesn’t pay income tax. And she’s employed with a company as far as I can understand (where as I’m with a sole proprietorship).
Well it won’t be that then. Did you turn 40 last year perchance. If so, long term care insurance kicks in. If not, I have no other ideas.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Nope. I’m 31.
My 2021 income was 2.8 million. And my 2022 income was 3.1 million. So I was expecting a minor fluctuation. But not 3000 more every month.
Or is that just it? Someone mentioned 10% and now I’m realising that the extra income was 300,000 and that 1% of that is 30,000 which is the total extra I’d have to pay in health insurance.
But then why would my residence tax go down?