Starting an iDeco with gaps in my pension payments

Adamakin86
Regular

Starting an iDeco with gaps in my pension payments

Post by Adamakin86 »

Hi all. Wanting to start an iDeco but I just noticed that anyone with 年金免除 cannot have an iDeco account. Is this referring to current 免除 or previous 免除.

The last 9-10 years I’ve been paying pension through my employer so no problems. But there a few periods before that of unpaid from when I first came to Japan and when I was changing and between jobs. I have 14 months of 免除. Can I open an iDeco?
adamu
Sage

Re: Starting an iDeco with gaps in my pension payments

Post by adamu »

Adamakin86 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:08 pm Is this referring to current 免除 or previous 免除.
Current, I think. The important point is that you are a category 1, 2 or 3 subscriber, which it sounds like you are (category 2).
Adamakin86
Regular

Post by Adamakin86 »

Thank you
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Adamakin86 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:08 pm Hi all. Wanting to start an iDeco but I just noticed that anyone with 年金免除 cannot have an iDeco account. Is this referring to current 免除 or previous 免除.

The last 9-10 years I’ve been paying pension through my employer so no problems. But there a few periods before that of unpaid from when I first came to Japan and when I was changing and between jobs. I have 14 months of 免除. Can I open an iDeco?
Only the current month counts (if you are currently paying nenkin in full, you can use iDeCo). If next month you applied for 免除 again your payments to iDeCo would be stopped. If you then went back to paying in full you could set up a new payment.

Eligibility is determined month by month (although the paperwork takes much longer to process).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)