Google Pay (or Apple Pay) overseas

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Google Pay (or Apple Pay) overseas

Post by zeroshiki »

Everyone knows about the different standards Japan has for e-cash so I was wondering if anyone has had experience using Mastercard contactless through Google Pay/Apple Pay on their phones and whether it works overseas. My Mastercard is a Rakuten card that has the Paywave logo but I'm not sure because on Google Pay it says Quikpay as well.
Tony
Veteran

Re: Google Pay (or Apple Pay) overseas

Post by Tony »

Should work fine. I used my rakuten Mastercard, and rakuten visa while in Australia exclusively with Apple Pay ... and it was glorious. No stupid scanning of QR codes, or taking time to ask what kind of payment method. The default is contactless, so everything is super quick.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:53 am Everyone knows about the different standards Japan has for e-cash so I was wondering if anyone has had experience using Mastercard contactless through Google Pay/Apple Pay on their phones and whether it works overseas. My Mastercard is a Rakuten card that has the Paywave logo but I'm not sure because on Google Pay it says Quikpay as well.
iD and QuickPay are Japanese standard, you need Visa Touch or MasterCard Touch.

My cards:
Rakuten - QuickPay
Amazon - iD
SmbC Gold NL - Visa Touch and iD
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

That's a good question.

According to this, Mastercard contactless theoretically works with Google Pay.

https://www.mastercard.co.jp/ja-jp/pers ... lepay.html

One beef that that advert: When contactless first became available, I found you often had to specify it specifically, as just saying "credit card" wasn't enough in some cases. But I've found it's supported automatically by more merchants now.

I might try it domestically next time, saying contactless instead of quicpay.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

I should add that there are huge campaigns to push visa touch, as most tourists in Japan can't use iD and QuickPay.

Gold SMBC gives 5% points at konbins etc if you use visa touch.
(But not iD/card insert, etc)

Google pay had been nerfed so it's Google Wallet on newer devices, and it supports Visa touch but...I'm not sure if it support MasterCard contactless.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I have 4 credit cards and only 1 of them works with Google Wallet. It is legit annoying especially since the one that works is Rakuten and they always have their dumb restrictions (like no Paypay back when you could add credit cards to Paypay)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

adamu wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:23 am I might try it domestically next time, saying contactless instead of quicpay.
Well I tried and it failed. Google pay set up with Rakuten Mastercard. Works fine when saying QuicPay. But tell them (domestically) you want to use "credit card" and tapping the phone failed. Tapping the actual card worked fine though.

It clearly worked for Tony, bit it didn't work for me, using Google Pay domestically. Maybe it's different for Apple Pay?
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:30 am Rakuten ... always have their dumb restrictions (like no Paypay back when you could add credit cards to Paypay)
I have my rakuten card linked to Paypay ...

adamu:
Yeah, not sure why it wouldn't work, especially if it works for the card itself. My rakuten visa doesn't even have paywave, but work fine for apple pay.