furusato nozei tax slip deduction

bryanc
Veteran

furusato nozei tax slip deduction

Post by bryanc »

so,just got my tax slip regarding taxes etc - the furusato nozei deduction is marked but i have 2 listed
one is 市町村 and other is 道府県
i just add the 2 together to get the total deduction dont i ? sorry if stupid question but thought all the tax deducted was from the town...
adamu
Sage

Re: furusato nozei tax slip deduction

Post by adamu »

For the residence tax deduction, yes.

If you did one stop, that's the end of the story.
If you did a tax return, another deduction was already applied to your national income tax - but figuring it out is pretty complicated.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Residents' Taxes (10%) are split in to two parts, (都)道府県 Metropolis; Tokyo To, Hokkai Do, Osaka Fu and Kyoto Fu, and the Prefectures Ken (4%), and(区)市町村 Municipality; Ward Ku, City Shi, Town Cho, Villiage Son (6%), or 2% prefecture 8% city respectively, if you live in one of the cities 市 with over 500,000 inhabitants, designated by ordinance - 政令指定都市, so both are included when you transfer your Residents' Taxes to the remote location (Furu Sato).

I guess there is something about a City that decreases the efficiency and significantly increases the cost required per head from 6% to 8%, or else the Prefecture offloads more of the services from the Prefectural Govenrnment to the City Government so that they can reduce the Prefectural cost from 4% per head to 2% per head, for cities when their populations cross the 500,000 threshold...
Last edited by Tkydon on Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

many thanks!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:52 am Residents' Taxes (10%) are split in to two parts, (都)道府県 Metropolis; Tokyo To, Hokkai Do, Osaka and Kyoto Fu, and the Prefectures Ken (4%), and(区)市町村 Municipality; Ward Ku, City Shi, Town Cho, Villiage Son (6%), so both are included whan you transfer your Residents' Taxes to the remote location (Furu Sato)
The problem with being specific is that you also have to be exhaustive. The rates are split 2% prefecture 8% city if you live in a designated city.