Interactive brokers Japan - cant use dividends...

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Deathstar_ITHelpdesk

Interactive brokers Japan - cant use dividends...

Post by Deathstar_ITHelpdesk »

Another dummy question no doubt!

A few months ago I got an IBKJ account and my stocks have been in there long enough to get some dividend payments - around 60k JPY.
However in my portfolio, this is sitting listed as 'dividends', separate from 'settled cash' and 'buying power'....so I cant use it.
I want to reinvest it...does anyone with experience have any ideas on how I can use this money? Thanks!
northSaver
Veteran

Re: Interactive brokers Japan - cant use dividends...

Post by northSaver »

This is worrying! I'm still on IB LLC (haven't been forced to IBSJ yet) and my dividends are available as cash as soon as they are paid. Why would IBSJ treat them differently? I suggest you ask them directly (open a help ticket), this will test how good their support is too. I've always found LLC's support to be good, how about SJ? And can they handle English, I wonder? Please post back when you have the answer!
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Interactive brokers Japan - cant use dividends...

Post by captainspoke »

One possible difference between IBLLC and IBSJ (and this is only a guess): on the US market--IBLLC--things settle quickly, if not immediately; with IBSJ 'located' here, it may take longer for available funds (divvies) to fully hit your account.

But I'd expect that would be 3-5 biz days, and that's if this speculation is correct. More than that and I'd be contacting them.