iDeCo from abroad and increase from 2025

Roger Van Zant
Veteran

iDeCo from abroad and increase from 2025

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I once read on this forum that only those with Japanese citizenship can pay into an iDeCo if residing abroad.
However, this does not seem to be the case:

https://www.jis-t.co.jp/notification/pdf/20220225.pdf

On page 1:
国民年金に任意加入している海外居住の方
"Overseas residents who are voluntarily enrolled in the National Pension Plan"

So even if you live abroad, as long as you are still paying into 国民年金, you can still pay into your iDeCo?

Also, good news (for people like myself who are currently limited to 12,000 yen per month for the iDeCo):

On page 2:
確定給付型の他制度に加入する場合(公務員を含む)のiDeCoの拠出限度額が1.2万円から2万円に引き上げられます。
"The iDeCo contribution limit will be increased from ¥12,000 to ¥20,000 for those enrolled in other defined benefit plans (including government employees)."

....wish we didn't have to wait a whole flippin' year for the increase though...! ;)
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: iDeCo from abroad and increase from 2025

Post by Beaglehound »

I think the issue is that non-Japanese citizens can’t pay voluntarily into the national pension from overseas.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Beaglehound wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:15 am I think the issue is that non-Japanese citizens can’t pay voluntarily into the national pension from overseas.
Yep. No Nenkin = no iDeCo.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Beaglehound wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:15 am I think the issue is that non-Japanese citizens can’t pay voluntarily into the national pension from overseas.
Ah, I see.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:37 pm
Ah, I see.
Obviously, no reciprocity from the Japanese government where Japanese people who have resided in the UK can still voluntarily pay into UK state pension though national insurance contributions even though they are living in Japan.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:47 pm
Ah, I see.
Obviously, no reciprocity from the Japanese government where Japanese people who have resided in the UK can still voluntarily pay into UK state pension though national insurance contributions even though they are living in Japan.
As a counter point, lump sum withdrawals from the Japanese pension are only available to non-Japanese. Nobody can get a refund from UK NI contributions.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

adamu wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:42 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:47 pm

Ah, I see.
As a counter point, lump sum withdrawals from the Japanese pension are only available to non-Japanese. Nobody can get a refund from UK NI contributions.
Only five years of refunds, but I would argue those Japanese people who have resided in the Uk and can pay voluntary contributions from Japan are getting one of the best state pension deals in the world and considerably more generous than the Japanese state pension.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Sure, but that's not relevant to the point about reciprocity.

You can argue that the UK is a better deal. Someone who worked in Japan for 4 years and got their payments largely refunded might not agree.

My guess is that most non-Japanese who would be interested in voluntary Nenkin payments have PR, and they're probably not going to give up their residence status even if they move abroad, which means they'll still have a registered residence in Japan, which means they'll still be able (actually required to) pay the pension.