Ben controversy on FB

beanhead
Sage

Ben controversy on FB

Post by beanhead »

Ben's latest video is causing quite the stir on a Facebook group for Brits in Japan.
No, it is not his new California surfer-dude vibe :lol:

Some character in the group basically said the video was rubbish, Japan is a really expensive place to live, etc etc.
There was some defense of Ben, probably by members here.

All very entertaining.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Ben controversy on FB

Post by RetireJapan »

Ooooh, drama. I did get some comments on YouTube about how UK prices haven't gone up, seemingly by someone who came here a couple of years ago rather than 20-odd like me.

Will definitely go and check it out :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yep, same guy. Got tired of talking to him on YouTube.

Some folks you just can't reach ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wow, read the whole thing and it was just one person being very obnoxious (mostly to Chris, not me). Phew.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

By far one of the more useful skills I have is (mostly) knowing when to leave things alone online :lol:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Captain, this is interesting, but too short-term, I think.
I had a look at historical inflation rates from 2000 until 2023

UK
100 GBP worth of goods in 2000 would cost 166 in 2023

USA
100 USD worth of goods in 2000 would cost 175 in 2023

JAPAN
10,000 JPY worth of goods in 2000 would cost 10,435 in 2023

Data from worlddata.info

Anyone who thinks Japan is expensive is insane. Unless they are buying designer fruit, perhaps.
IMG_3206.jpg
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
William
Regular

Post by William »

I'm not an expat (I wish, I guess), but I did interact a lot with expats in a past previous job.

Regarding the root problem, isn't it because some expats (or non-expats, for that matter) live in Japan the same way they would in their respective countries? If I were to drink only wine during my meals, make a point to always have cheese at the end and have it with some quality baguettes, I guess I would find Japan pretty expensive.

But I'm in Japan so I just get my gyudon bowl when I want to eat. And it's cheap.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

William wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:41 am Regarding the root problem..
But I'm in Japan so I just get my gyudon bowl when I want to eat. And it's cheap.
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

If not- what an alluring life you you’ve carved out for yourself (sarcasm intended :D ).

If we’re looking at the “root” of things, two of the main reasons Japan is relatively inexpensive are because: #1 Owning an automobile and paying for its related expenses is not necessary. #2. You can live in a modestly priced neighborhood with cheap rent or mortgage (even in Japan’s largest city Tokyo) without having to worry about being mugged/murdered at night.
(Bonus category #3. You have savings income in a country with a good exchange rate).

With the money thusly saved, I’ll be eating my regular baguettes wine and cheese, mais bien sûr!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I was at the shopping mall the other day. It was ball game day at the stadium next door so the food court was packed. No chance you would get a table without reserving it first. Which is what everyone did. By putting their handbags and smartphones on the table unaccompanied while they went to order. You can't put a price on that.

I just hope in 30 years time I'm not going to be reminiscing to the kids about the good old days when people could do that 😄