Do I still have to submit a 確定申告 if I was hired by the company I freelanced for?

Senny

Do I still have to submit a 確定申告 if I was hired by the company I freelanced for?

Post by Senny »

So, in the first half of this year, I did 副業 freelance work for a company.
They then offered me a full-time position, which I accepted.

While they were my secondary employer, the payment I received totaled over 200,000+, so I'd normally expect to submit a 確定申告 next tax season.
However, is it still necessary if that secondary employer is now my primary employer?

I asked HR about this, and they gave me a non-answer.
Perhaps I need to ask a better question? Perhaps, I should just submit a 確定申告 to be safe?
I don't recall the 年末調整 form including any fields that would be applicable to my situation, either.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Do I still have to submit a 確定申告 if I was hired by the company I freelanced for?

Post by Tkydon »

Whilst you were working for them in a contract position, where they withholding income tax?
If not, then you will definitely need to submit a Kakutei Shinkoku.
If they were, will they provide you a Certificate of Withholding - Gensen Choshuhyo for the period, and will they include that tax paid in the Year-End True-Up - Nenmatsu Chosei ?
Are you claiming expenses as a contractor for the first half of the year?
If so, then you will definitely need to submit a Kakutei Shinkoku.
Are you claiming other deductions such as medical expenses or Furusato Nozei, etc.?

Conclusion: For this year you probably will need to submit a Kakutei Shinkoku.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Senny

Re: Do I still have to submit a 確定申告 if I was hired by the company I freelanced for?

Post by Senny »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:05 am Whilst you were working for them in a contract position, where they withholding income tax?
If they were, will they provide you a Certificate of Withholding - Gensen Choshuhyo for the period, and will they include that tax paid in the Year-End True-Up - Nenmatsu Chosei ?
Are you claiming expenses as a contractor for the first half of the year?
Are you claiming other deductions such as medical expenses or Furusato Nozei, etc.?

Conclusion: For this year you probably will need to submit a Kakutei Shinkoku.
True, they did not withhold income tax!
Thanks!