Putting it all together: family coming to live in Japan - How To

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
solo7100
Regular

Re: Putting it all together: family coming to live in Japan - How To

Post by solo7100 »

Thank you all for your helpful responses. We will be looking into those resources and talking to the right people about this.

Thanks again,
solo7100
Regular

Post by solo7100 »

Thank you all for the detailed responses.

Someone said cavalier...yes indeed, but because of various circumstances surrounding this situation the mom and sis basically have to get out of Dodge. Mom does have siblings, but they have their own situations to contend with and, frankly, conditions are unbearable at this point (both immediate and extended). So it has become a literal question of where-in-the-world-should-we-live.

The only other family member is me with mom's only grandkid and sister's nephew. It's an emotional decision to be sure. But for them to stay where they are now is very, very unwise.

Hence all the various questions around this forum which has been very helpful in this journey. I believe I can sort out the visa situation. Once this is settled (COE, visa, residence status), seems it's just a matter of upkeeing that status of residence here in Japan in the upcoming years.

Thanks again,
gulfshores2023

Post by gulfshores2023 »

You might consider Panama. Voted the number one destination for retirees in the world, multiple times. They have a very simple and generous visa program for retirees. I know this is a Japan forum, but when you said things are untenable now, where you are, and you want to "get out of dodge", I immediately thought of Panama, because it is so nice there, and closer, and they use the US dollar, only a 3 hour flight from Miami, Central time zone, etc. Go to Panama Relocation Tours to learn more. (no, I don't have any connections)