Personal Allowanace on UK Tax Filing

avocadotoast

Personal Allowanace on UK Tax Filing

Post by avocadotoast »

Hi all!

Japanese resident and I'm submitting my UK self-assessment tax return (via a third-party software) for the first time. Before I submit it, I want to confirm whether or not I'm eligible for the £12,570 personal allowance via a double-taxation agreement (DTA)?

Thanks in advance.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Personal Allowanace on UK Tax Filing

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

You are entitled to the personal allowance; I claim my own and my wife's for a few flat's rents. I have been doing it for 12 years no problem.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

My wife owns rental property in the UK and I didn't think she was eligible for the UK personal allowance. She has never lived in the UK nor got a National Insurnance number. Is she eligible for the personal allowance?
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:04 pm My wife owns rental property in the UK and I didn't think she was eligible for the UK personal allowance. She has never lived in the UK nor got a National Insurnance number. Is she eligible for the personal allowance?
Government says U.K. and EEA nationals are entitled to it, though I imagine the latter may be under threat. Government also says other nationalities may be entitled depending on the provisions of double taxation treaty.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Beaglehound wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:23 pm
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:04 pm My wife owns rental property in the UK and I didn't think she was eligible for the UK personal allowance. She has never lived in the UK nor got a National Insurnance number. Is she eligible for the personal allowance?
Government says U.K. and EEA nationals are entitled to it, though I imagine the latter may be under threat. Government also says other nationalities may be entitled depending on the provisions of double taxation treaty.
She is Japanese - anyone know if she is entitled? I thought not but maybe I am wrong- hope so1
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Thanks, yes that is the same document I ploughed through originally. I concluded she was not eligible but I wondered if my intrepretation was correct given the other comments on this thread.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:39 pm
Beaglehound wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:23 pm
She is Japanese - anyone know if she is entitled? I thought not but maybe I am wrong- hope so1
Are you renting through a letting agent? if so there is a form you need to fill out to get then rent paid gross. For that I think you needed your national insurance number. My wife is not British, either. She is Polish, but has a national insurance number, which allows her to get the rent paid gross and claim the income tax allowance.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Yes, we have filled in the NRL1 form to have rent paid gross of tax. It doesn't require the landlord to have a National Insurance number to register.

However she has to pay tax through annual filing and does not have a National Insurance number so (as far as I know) has no personal allowance.
avocadotoast

Post by avocadotoast »

Thanks for the answers. Will use the personal allowance :D.

Follow-up question about non-resident landlords and the NRL1 form. I joint own the property with someone who is still a UK resident. What's the proper procedure here? I haven't actually seen if the management company deducts tax automatically. I always assumed not.