Personal Allowanace on UK Tax Filing

Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Personal Allowanace on UK Tax Filing

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

avocadotoast wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:17 am Thanks for the answers. Will use the personal allowance :D.

Follow-up question about non-resident landlords and the NRL1 form. I joint own the property with someone who is still a UK resident. What's the proper procedure here? I haven't actually seen if the management company deducts tax automatically. I always assumed not.
I also jointly own a property with someone else, if you've filled out the NRL 1 form you should get the rent gross and only declare what goes into your bank account on the tax return.
avocadotoast

Post by avocadotoast »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:40 am
avocadotoast wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:17 am Thanks for the answers. Will use the personal allowance :D.

Follow-up question about non-resident landlords and the NRL1 form. I joint own the property with someone who is still a UK resident. What's the proper procedure here? I haven't actually seen if the management company deducts tax automatically. I always assumed not.
I also jointly own a property with someone else, if you've filled out the NRL 1 form you should get the rent gross and only declare what goes into your bank account on the tax return.
To the best of my knowledge, we've never filled out the NRL 1 form :?
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

avocadotoast wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:57 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:40 am

Do you go through letting agents and get the rent paid gross?
avocadotoast

Post by avocadotoast »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:29 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:40 am I also jointly own a property with someone else, if you've filled out the NRL 1 form you should get the rent gross and only declare what goes into your bank account on the tax return.
Just checked and we receive the rent paid gross (management fee + VAT).

If I do indeed submit the NRL1 form, how does tax reporting differ for me (paying tax in Japan) and my friend (paying tax in the UK)?
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

avocadotoast wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:22 am

If I do indeed submit the NRL1 form, how does tax reporting differ for me (paying tax in Japan) and my friend (paying tax in the UK)?
As a resident in Japan, you have to submit both a Japanese tax return and UK tax return.
avocadotoast

Post by avocadotoast »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 am
avocadotoast wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:22 am

As a resident in Japan, you have to submit both a Japanese tax return and UK tax return.
Have reported this in Japan for the past couple of years, but this is the first year to need to report it in the UK as income was less than £2,500 before. My confusion is mostly what difference the NRL1 form makes. It already seems like we're being paid gross already, so I don't think it's required?
deezy

Post by deezy »

When I started renting my flat in the UK I was told by the letting agency that I had 2 choices:
1. Have the rent paid gross and then fill in NRL1 and file a tax return annually to show I didn't owe any tax
or
2. The rental income would be taxed at source and then I could claim it back

i do a tax return via an online site recommended by HMRC. It costs £20 and takes about 30 minutes asI only fill in the one section about property and attach a pdf of the letting agency's payment and a pdf of maintenance costs. The form then calclulates the tax owed which is 0.
I think if you are getting the rental gross, you have to fill in UK tax return.